cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

watch out

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi - i need to share this.

i've just recived a phone bill for my 14 year old daughters phone. she has exceeded her allowance of 500 mis for calls by 270mis.

the bill for this normally £18.50 has come in at a whopping £164.

i thought the account was capped, but it turns out this is only the data as thy have to by law.

to add insult we were issued a warning of this 2 mins before the bill. at no other point was the so called concern raised.

i have tried to speak to a manager, who after keeping me on hold for 50 mins decided that he would phone me back to discuss the matter. this call never came. i phoned back after a couple of days and after 1hr i was eventially put through and told how unlucky i was but nothing could be done.

i explained i had been a customer with now 3 accounts for 10 years but i was still told unlucky, no can do.

i write this post to express my digust and as a warning to others.

i think this treatment is a disgrace and will move all accounts to a more trusted supplier - others do cap.

Message 1 of 13
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122822 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous Sorry to hear of this experience. Best you can do is to make a complaint http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain

You also probably should be looking to see if your daughter needs a change in tariff as she is exceeding her allowances

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Cleoriff
  • 122822 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous Sorry to hear of this experience. Best you can do is to make a complaint http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain

You also probably should be looking to see if your daughter needs a change in tariff as she is exceeding her allowances

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 13

MI5
  • 144180 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Unfortunately, that is why contracts can only be purchased by over 18's.
It is the users responsibility to keep track of usage which is easily done through the MyO2 app.
PAYG is more suitable for children which avoids issues such as this.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

You obviously have misunderstood somewhere. No contracts are capped. I believe only Tesco do this. Have a look for a suitable tariff or have a look at the payg tariffs or sim only

Message 4 of 13

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Sorry but surely someone knew that going 6 hours over their allowance would be charged.
Using a total of 14 hours talk time is something that needs discussing with your daughter
Message 5 of 13

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@viridis wrote:
Sorry but surely someone knew that going 6 hours over their allowance would be charged.
Using a total of 14 hours talk time is something that needs discussing with your daughter

Or is it another case of a call not being terminated ?

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 6 of 13

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

I do sympathise, no one likes to be bill shocked. You need either to put her on P&G or monitor her usage in My O2. It's easy enough but tbh it's not an O2 problem. It's down to parenting and personal responsibility. A harsh lesson nonetheless.

Message 7 of 13

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
I still don't understand why O2 can't do this. Tesco three and even EE can and will cap accounts. O2 surely supply or at least support the Tesco mobile system so why they can't offer this is beyond me. Or is it a case of don't want to wink
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 8 of 13

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

@Curr946 wrote:
I still don't understand why O2 can't do this. Tesco three and even EE can and will cap accounts. O2 surely supply or at least support the Tesco mobile system so why they can't offer this is beyond me. Or is it a case of don't want to wink

They don't want to....money talks so my wife says wink

Message 9 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Cleoriff,

i just wanted to let you know that thanks to your post i contacted the complaints Dept and the offered us a £110 refund!

you helped make a young girl's day.

much appreciated and thanks.

Message 10 of 13