cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

the Lost Art of Handwriting - Will it become Extinct , as TECH is Prevalent ?

RunrigForever
Level 20: Radiant
  • 2586 Posts
  • 36 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

It used to be that when applying for a job, it was with an application form showing the applicants' handwriting.

It then went to a CV with a covering letter ... to show handwriting ?

It is now mostly apply using email ?

I would be very interested to hear what you think / know, in response to my question, please ?

***DESORMAIS***
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 124283 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7524 Solutions

Here's my opinion for what it's worth Jane.

You can't judge a person by their handwriting. (Look at the brilliant doctors we have about, yet their handwriting is appalling ...usually)

Job applications nowadays, usually require you to fill in a form and attach a typed CV.

If you work in a job via an employment agency you deliver a CV either by hand or via the agencies email address. If they call you for interview you take passport, driving licence, utility bill showing address and National insurance number.

Some agencies don't even call you for interview, they expect you to scan your documents, attach to a file and send this to their email address.

Even in nursing, things have changed. When I did a ward round with a consultant, I took a notepad and pen. The info from the round was transferred by hand into all patients records.

Nowadays nurses use tablets (like an ipad and transcribe all that's said, into the tablet) This is transferred electronically into patients and nursing records. 

So, you rarely see anyones handwriting.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 5

RunrigForever
  • 2586 Posts
  • 36 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you very much @Cleoriff for your well informed reply

I have just started keeping a little lined note book in my voluminous pink everyday handbag

This has a cat design on the front and an O2 pen with it 

It is for recording what I eat ..... this is because too much lately I can't remember if or what I ate during the day

I drink a lot of milk at home = sterilized milk from an environmentally savvy local company called 'The Modern Milkman' ..... Milk is a Food

I do use my middle of the range OPPO phone calendar to it's full extent

I recently bought cash a Samsung tablet, don't think it is quite synced with my mobile or my laptop ..... need to contact nice 'self-employed' guy whose shop I bought it from

Thanks again @Cleoriff for your valuable imput / reply xx slight_smile

***DESORMAIS***
Message 3 of 5

Enlli
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 7126 Posts
  • 51 Topics
  • 1589 Solutions

Recently we came upon some letters written by my Father in Law to his parents and new wife as he was waiting to be posted abroad in 1940. There is something about having the original letters in his handwriting that I don't think we would get if it had all been done electronically.

When I was courting my future wife had to spend six weeks a time away. We wrote every day. I still have the letter she wrote accepting my proposal of marriage 53 years ago.

I keep a journal and try as I might I cannot get on with doing it in electronic form. I like a blank page, a pen and my thoughts.

Recently, I was in the library, working through a handwritten book of letters from the 15 century, it gave me a link with the past that I don't think any transcript would.

Nothing against electronic writing but I wonder what people would do with an SD card 500 years from now! I can't even access my 3 1/4 floppy discs from the mid 80's without the correct paraphernalia!

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 4 of 5

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 124283 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7524 Solutions

I always keep a notepad where I hand write notes or reminders, lists etc. I know this could be done on my phone but that never appeals to me. I also keep a diary.

When we were engaged and I was on a 3 month night shift stint, my now husband used to write letters to me as we had very little time together as he worked day shifts at the local power station. I kept all of his letters to this day.

Talking of electronics, I tried 2 different Kindles but can't get used to reading books via a device. I know it's not climate friendly but I can't resist new books. I read a lot and I do recycle all read by donating to charity shops.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 5