cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tech: handy hint(s)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Password(s)

Because I come from a traditional clerk / typist / receptionist / telephonist work background I do have things to bring to the table, even though I shall always be a tech novice = no probs

From the beginning of using the old tower system of computers I have had beside my computer electronic device an old paper & pen address book

here goes websites I use &, of course, passwords, all of which are different = no brainer imhho (humble / honest)

some silly sod who should have known better advised me to use the same password for everything 'cos then you remember it = Nnooo!

So you have company / person's name + web site + Email address + password + or - telephone number

All in an A-Z pen & paper format taking up little space on your desk

a little feedback would be nice ... Feedback

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93227 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Just make sure it's not available to any intruder when you are out of the house. But it works for some for those rarely used websites, I'm scared if you write down banking passwords Jane, information like that is a godsend to the criminal element that crawl around in our neighbourhoods.

Message 2 of 11

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122909 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

I store mine in One Note.....where needed....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 11

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions
Message 4 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

Just make sure it's not available to any intruder when you are out of the house. But it works for some for those rarely used websites, I'm scared if you write down banking passwords Jane, information like that is a godsend to the criminal element that crawl around in our neighbourhoods.

I didn't think of this @jonsie ... my finances are only with the Yorkshire Bank ... & ... I have the business cards of both assistant bank managers ... insurance(s) are with them too ... so ... I suppose a call to them in banking hours or walk into the shop in banking hours is what I would do ... if out of hours I would have to ring their Customer Services telephone number which is only in the above mentioned address book ... ... ... I could always get up to date my somewhat neglected house paper & pen address book which an intruder would not  easily find ... ... ... after the recent mess-up when my phone got broken overnight somehow & I got a new one with only Facebook contact numbers on it ... ... ... lost a lot of useful contacts details ... ... ... I'm reluctant to wholly rely on any portable electronic device(s) ... ... ... there is always starting from scratch again populating my old black leather Filofax ... local town stationers stock requirements for it

Will read the blue link you posted @Beenherebefore when I've had a little bit of rest ... ... ... all enjoy the rest of your weekend ... ... ... & ... ... ... @Cleoriff your One Drive or is it One Note, I shall check your post after the much needed rest = no matter the time of day tongue

Cat Destroy

Message 5 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 122909 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

It's actually called One Drive Jane  (One Note is part of it)

https://onedrive.live.com/about/en-us/

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 11

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Strangely I have pages of passwords within my "book". Not bank details but work ones....though ironically by the time you've cracked the boot password, you've then got the windows login then you need to get past the VPN access since the computer is effectively a dumb terminal. If you haven't given up by then.....Needless to say, passwords rotate every so often any thief would need to guess where in the password list is my current one as I keep all the old ones and they don't repeat! Security by obscurity is the key...

Though working across multiple computers and operating systems with multiple access methods (passwords are one part), lets just say I"m used to knowing who to contact when I forget which password access what system Banana

Message 7 of 11

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@sheepdog wrote:

Security by obscurity is the key...

And there you have it.........sheepdog in obscure mode LOL

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 8 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 122909 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@Beenherebefore wrote:

@sheepdog wrote:

Security by obscurity is the key...

And there you have it.........sheepdog in obscure mode LOL

But that is the key surely....Bouncy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sheepdog wrote:

Strangely I have pages of passwords within my "book". Not bank details but work ones....though ironically by the time you've cracked the boot password, you've then got the windows login then you need to get past the VPN access since the computer is effectively a dumb terminal. If you haven't given up by then.....Needless to say, passwords rotate every so often any thief would need to guess where in the password list is my current one as I keep all the old ones and they don't repeat! Security by obscurity is the key...

Though working across multiple computers and operating systems with multiple access methods (passwords are one part), lets just say I"m used to knowing who to contact when I forget which password access what system Banana

Well it all sounds good to me @sheepdog ... ... ... if only I had the key to decipher what it all meant 

Message 10 of 11