Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

scam call from 0344 809 0202

looby99
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Have just been scammed by caller from 0344 809 0202 with heavy indian accent. Saying i was gettig discount on my account and would be sending me 2 texts, one warning about scam and another with code to confirm ID. As number was from O2 like a chump i went along with it and provided security question so they then changed my password on account which i thankfully realised and have hopefully got O2 to cancel the new iphone they have ordered for me!

Unbelieveable they can do it from genuine customer service number

BE AWARE

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@looby99 

Have you changed your password? If not, do so immediately.

When you called O2 did you ask to speak to the fraud dept?

Other ways to report here including Action Fraud website

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/safety-and-security/phishing-and-smishing-advice

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 22

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@looby99 wrote:

Unbelieveable they can do it from genuine customer service number

This is how https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/problems/tackling-nuisanc...

@Martin-O2 @LukasB @TheresaV O2 need to be aware of this.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 22

looby99
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

yes all reported thanks

Message 4 of 22

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Good to hear @looby99 

One word of advice we give to everyone, is to never accept an offer from a cold caller. If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

If you look at the recent comments about this 'genuine' O2 number, it appears scams are on the increase.

https://who-called.co.uk/Number/03448090202 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 22

TheresaV
  • 1930 Posts
  • 80 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

Thanks for the tag @MI5 and very sorry you had to experience this @looby99

We have raised this internally, so that hopefully this can be prevented in future but will let you know if there are any updates in the meantime.

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 6 of 22

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

Hey all.

This kind of scam known as number spoofing is something we're aware of and like most other scams, is extremely difficult to stop or slow down. Ofcom is working with the international regulators - as well as the telecoms industry - to find solutions to this problem and you can get more details about this scam here if you want to know more.

From O2's side, we'll never call, text or email you and ask for a one-time code, password, or other security information. You should continue to report these calls by texting CALL to 7726 and we'll reply back to you. Please also see our fraud support page 
for more advice.

If you think you've disclosed personal data, you can report it to Action Fraud hereIf any fraud occurs due to this incident, you can also report this to Action Fraud. If you do notice any fraudulent activity on your O2 account, get in touch with our customer service team so we can help. If you've entered your card/bank account details, so it's also worth alerting your bank as well.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 7 of 22

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Thanks @Chris_K . Extremely worrying. slight_frown

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 22

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Thanks @Chris_K . Extremely worrying. slight_frown

It 100% is, though when customers are sent an OTAC code (more info here) it is delayed by around a minute because we send a 'pre-OTAC' warning SMS first, alerting customers that if someone got in touch with them asking for an OTAC code, to hang up because it's not O2.

We urge customers to keep themselves safe and to follow those instructions. Before receiving any OTAC code, the first SMS you receive is:

*FRAUD ALERT - MUST READ* Has someone called you and asked for a code? Hang up. They DO NOT work for O2 and are trying to commit fraud on your O2 account. Never give a one-time code to anyone who called you. Call us on 202 if you need help. If you requested a code yourself, we’ll be texting it to you shortly.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 9 of 22

jonsie
  • 92909 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

These people are vermin but I would have hoped that the teecoms industry could do more

I think O2 should put that fraud alert highlighted in red on the My O2 landing page within the app and on line

Message 10 of 22