cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"All The Data You Need in Europe” - Yeah Right! (O2Travel)

Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, I am new to O2 and I have been pretty happy, that is until now.

As I travel abroad a lot, O2 Travel was one of the main reasons for me going with O2. What a mistake that now seems to be.

I fully understand the need to throttle bandwidth, but the throttling is so aggressive that I cannot even load 19 out of 20 webpages. I have read that the throttling limits your speed to 15Kbps. However, it is taking as long as 10 minutes to load a single webpage, including BBC mobile website pages.

Selling this as a service where you can use “All The Data You Need in Europe” is very, very misleading. As it stands, the service is totally unusable, even for the most basic tasks once throttling has kicked in.

In case anyone is wondering, I have tried both roaming partner networks where I am in Spain and both are the same. Other users in the same room on these networks are getting 18Mbps and 16Mbps respectively. Before the throttling kicks in, the service is very fast.

This is wrong to offer “All The Data You Need in Europe” and yet cripple the service to the point where it is for all intents and purposes very much a data limit.

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi MH100

You're not the first to bring this up 😔

Seems even though it's unlimited "There's no upper usage limit, but traffic management steps apply., " -> WiFi is always going to be a better alternative where it's available. 

Message 2 of 27

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
A previous thread here http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Discussions-Feedback/O2-Travel-is-utterly-pathetic-and-not-worth-the-mo...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, @Anonymous , I think this may help.

O2 Travel Data Service

1. A daily charge of £1.99 will be applied automatically on the days that you use data in the selected destinations.
  2. There's no fixed data allowance with O2 Travel, but we'll slow down the service if you reach an assumed fair usage amount in order to manage traffic on the network. This will be more than 100MB of general data or more than 50MB of streamed video or audio data (the "assumed fair usage amounts") in a day . Audio and video streaming are available with O2 Travel but the quality of the audio/video will be optimised for a mobile device. The speed available for file transfer, online gaming, peer to peer downloads and network back-up services is restricted and may not work with O2 Travel. You can view our traffic management policy here.
  3. Regardless of the country you're in of the selected destinations, your daily data charge will apply from 00.00 to 23.59 UK time. Whilst you're travelling you'll need to check the time in the UK to understand when your daily charge expires.
  4. O2 Travel provides you with daily data to use in the country you're in. If you travel to another country in the selected destinations in the same UK day you'll continue to use the same allocation of daily data for that 24 hour period for that next country.
  5. Any unused assumed fair usage amount will not carry over to the following day.
Message 4 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable

I know what the small print says. I'm one of those rare breads who actually reads it 😉

The issue is (as you can read from my posts), they are advertising unlimited data, albeit throttled, but are actually preventing me from loading any webpages.

I used to use a 9600 buad rate modem back in the early 90's and it was litterally 50-100 times faster to load a webpage. It is taking so long with throttling that the servers are timing out the connection. This makes the service unusable and is contrary to what is being advertised.

Like I say, I have zero problem with throttling in principle, but what O2 are doing here is not right.

Message 5 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree.

It's ok making it unlimited but actually being usable is another matter !
Message 6 of 27

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
It is certainly a concern for anyone who travels abroad....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable
It should really be advertised as a 100mb limit if that's all you can really use
Message 8 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable

"It's ok making it unlimited but actually being usable is another matter !"

Yep!

"It should really be advertised as a 100mb limit if that's all you can really use"

My thoughts entirely.

I think I will put in a complaint. It has been no better today.

Message 9 of 27

Cleoriff
  • 122363 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

"It's ok making it unlimited but actually being usable is another matter !"

Yep!

"It should really be advertised as a 100mb limit if that's all you can really use"

My thoughts entirely.

I think I will put in a complaint. It has been no better today.

Good plan. The more people who complain the better it will be for others hopefully.... Though that could be a debatable point....:smileysad:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 27