cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pay up front for life cancelled by o2!!

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have had a "pay up front for life" contract for many years. Without notice or regret, O2 have changed it to a £35 per month contract. The reason given is a change to a new computer system causing it to "lose" some or all of the Pay up front contracts!!
Can they legally breach the contract?
Has anyone else suffered this?
Message 1 of 159
158 REPLIES 158

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Mr_Alan
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

No description available.

Still on the PUFL after many years.

Little bit baffled by this email. Apparently I'll still have "unlimited minutes" and "unlimited texts", whereas I THOUGHT my PUFL was for 50 mins a month for life to landlines only, and texts were an extra charge, as were any calls over the 50 mins. 

So, are they now saying I can send as many texts as I like and make as many calls as I like for free? Uh?

Message 92 of 159

MI5
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Mr_Alan 

Yes, all new tariffs come with unlimited calls and texts.

What's included is here Guide: Your Allowances - what is and isn't included 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 93 of 159

JW300
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I was about to post the same.  What's the catch?  

Message 94 of 159

Mr_Alan
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you for your reply. The link you gave about what numbers are included is very informative.

However, mine's a very old tarrif, not a new one, so there is still an element of doubt hanging over your reply.

The email says, “ still have unlimited minutes ” . Well, the email is either not intended for me, or the words are poorly chosen because at the moment I do not have unlimited minutes, my contract restricts me to 50 minutes a month.

The email also says, “ at £.00* per month ”
- now what exactly is that asterisk after the amount conveying?

Underneath, it says, “*Each year your Airtime Plan will be adjusted on your April bill by the RPI rate of inflation announced in the preceding February. See o2.co.uk/prices. ”

- Airtime Plan is not explained but I'll use my imagination.

- Any RPI adjustment to £.00 is £.00. Again, another element in the message causing confusion and potentially unneccessary exploration of the given link to prices.

I do realise I can contact O2 to ask to speak to someone about these issues. I have tried that today. I was passed from Person 1 to Person 2 to Person 3. While talking to Person 3, the line was cut off. 😣

So, let's see what happens, I guess. 😏

Message 95 of 159

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
I would imagine that the asterisk is meant to say that barring any other charges (premium rate SMS/calls, charge to mobile or anything similar) the monthly charge will be £0.00.
Airtime plan is the plan for minutes, texts and data.
I can ask one of the forum gurus to look into this for you if you would like @Mr_Alan?
@O2Lisa @O2Ellie can you please help with this?

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 96 of 159

O2Lisa
  • 996 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 32 Solutions

Thanks for the tag @gmarkj smiling

I'll message you privately @Mr_Alan and look in to this for you.

My working hours are Monday - Thursday 08:00 - 18:00
Any messages sent outside these time will be responded to on my return.
Thanks slight_smile

signature
Girl in a jacket
Message 97 of 159

MI5
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Mr_Alan 

You have been moved to a "new" tariff but you keep your old terms with regard to PUFFL, therefore, the "new" tariff comes with unlimited mins and texts and 500mg of data.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 98 of 159

Petethepete
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Can you let me know too Lisa as I have the same email and tariff and the help desk don't seem to have a scoobydoo about it 8-)

Message 99 of 159

Toffee1
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I received the same email re new tariff with unlimited mins and text and no change in contract end date. Seems to good to be true and no point speaking to customer service as they don't understand PUFL

So complained to O2 via resolver website and this is the reply :

Thank you for contacting us.  

I understand that you've recently received a notification regarding our new Terms and Conditions. I appreciate that you're currently on a Pay Upfront For Life account, but these tariffs are being removed, as they're no longer available for purchase. The new Terms and Conditions are set for all customers, despite the tariffs they're currently on.

As you're on a legacy tariff, we'll be moving you onto one of our newer tariffs, which will be similar to the one you're currently on. However, the price will change in line with the tariff change and new Terms. We've provided you with a 30 days' notice confirmation of this. If you don't wish to agree with the new Terms or the tariff change, we can only advise that you're no longer in a contract with us and can end your agreement. Should you wish to do this, you can speak with our Recontracting Team by dialling 202 from an O2 mobile or 0344 809 0202 from any UK landline.

Kind Regards,

Amanda Sykes
Resolution Expert
Telefónica UK Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority

Message 100 of 159