Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

o2 coverage map

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12045 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1122 Solutions

Just wondering if anyone knows how often the coverage map at https://www.o2.co.uk/coveragechecker gets updated?

Any ideas @Martin-O2 @RafaC @lewys-gp @Chris_K ?

Noticed that I was getting 5G while my daughter was swimming, but according to the map 5G is not in my area yet...

Screenshot_2022-05-05-17-03-47-29_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

RafaC
Former Staff
  • 1774 Posts
  • 157 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

Hey @gmarkj I will check it with a team at O2 and will let you know about it when I hear from them slight_smile

Message 2 of 14

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

Hey @gmarkj - unfortunately this is a tricky one to answer as there's no set or defined times or days. What I can say though to hopefully explain your particular situation though is that:

1. We often test various connectivity options in locations for days, weeks or months before it's made official and reflected on the coverage checker. This is because our network teams need to analyse, optimise and tweak things to ensure reliability and optimal experience
  2. For 5G (and with 3G/4G in the past too) we require a certain coverage level before it's made 'official' on the coverage checker. For instance, where I live I've been close to a 5G signal area for a while but I've never received 5G in my flat until the past week or so - I suspect once a more of this general area has more 5G coverage and hits that threshold, then our coverage map will be updated to reflect it

The main thing with the coverage maps is it's meant as a guide - with mast issues or faults, we highlight those as soon as the fault is official so customers know it's not them or their phone, but for coverage improvements or enhancements, these may not be as quick due to the above couple of potential reasons.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 3 of 14

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12045 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1122 Solutions

Hi @Chris_K 

Thanks for the great reply. Makes complete sense that you would want to make sure everything is working properly before announcing it, but maybe have a disclaimer on those areas where it is new that it is undergoing testing?

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 4 of 14

GHughes11
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

coverage mapLooking at my local coverage map it's is dated 30/08/23 and shows good outdoor 5G coverage. I would say it's wrong as I've been on a Tesco mobile (uses o2) contract sim for 2 years now and not picking it up. I ran a test today walking round my area a good 50-100m in each direction around my house and my phone didn't connect to 5g at all. I get a second or two connection sometimes near a window on my 1st floor, but no more.
I wouldn't mind this too much if the map was accurate but the coverage map puts me slap bang in the middle of a coverage belt for at least a mile of "good" coverage in any direction. So I would sum up and say the map is wrong and if you delve into the information on the o2 website about how the map is compiled they say its a prediction of coverage. Now if i was a sync I would say they are over predicting on the website in order to sell more connections, but thats just me. I will let you decide.

Message 5 of 14

Oxonian
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 5434 Posts
  • 93 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

@GHughes11 

Coverage maps are a very rough prediction of coverage as so many different things affect the signal you receive. Mast faults and maintenance, your handset, weather conditions etc are all variables. The only way to accurately predict your coverage is to buy a PAYG SIM and test it in the areas that you frequent.

There are also "rival" coverage maps too, such as this one from OFCOM :-

Broadband and mobile coverage checker - Ofcom

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/advice/ofcom-checker

You mention being on Tesco mobile but you reference the O2 coverage map. Tesco do have their own coverage map :-

Coverage Checker (tescomobile.com)

https://www.tescomobile.com/coverage-checker

Is this a different map or is it just the O2 map under a different name ? 

I assume that your handset is 5G capable ? 

Message 6 of 14

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6506 Posts
  • 48 Topics
  • 1472 Solutions

Coverage maps are just one step down from political promises.

Computer generated an optimistic 

Always try before you buy using PAYG SIM cards

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 7 of 14

Oxonian
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 5434 Posts
  • 93 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

@Enlli 

Coverage maps are visually appealing and are good fun for playing with ; maybe regard them as art rather than science ?   

Message 8 of 14

GHughes11
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I do get that coverage maps are not 100% accurate of course, but that said I've been on Tesco Mobile (which uses O2) for a couple of years so cant really do much better testing than that. I also did buy a specific 30 day monthly contract sim with O2 to make doubly sure. but its a no go,, coverage is nada across my whole street outdoors and a considerable amount of the surrounding area... I appreciate that trees etc can cause issues for the prediction, but the O2 coverage map has it showing as good coverage for a long way around me so I would suggest that the prediction algorithm may need to be updated/adjusted to become more accurate. 

Message 9 of 14

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6506 Posts
  • 48 Topics
  • 1472 Solutions

All the network coverage maps for my house show excellent signal Indoors and outside. That's not the case.

Coverage maps only show predicted signal strength on 2, 3,4 and 5G. What they don't show is the quality of signal, especially for data, which is unquantifiable. For example here O2 shows marginally the strongest but it has the slowest data of the others, even when they are showing 1 bar.

If O2 does not work for you on a 30 day SIM try another network 

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 10 of 14