cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

o2 are ripping me off (well trying to)

Anonymous
Not applicable

So - I have happily used o2's broadband for probably 7/8 years now, and I've had my mobile number with them for nearer 20 years I think.

Recently I had a letter stating that o2 had just sold their broadband service to Sky (my broadband contract was long since fulfilled, I am on a rolling basis now).

In common with many o2 users,  I really do not want Sky broadband, so I contacted o2 and explained the same, they offered me a 200 quid credit to stay because of the length of time I've been with them..but I insisted I wanted a MAC code which they gave me, and I migrated over to BT Infinity....which, incidentally also gives me much faster connection cos I am now on fibre optic.

So - a week later, I got a letter from o2 saying I still owed them a months Broadband (9.50). As I pay in advance for my broadband, I was somewhat puzzled and spoke to someone who said it was correct, I was not happy but paid it anyway on my card.

Two weeks later, I just received yet another email from o2, saying they had levied a further £15.50 disconnection charge on me for not giving them enough notice !! That notice had never been mentioned when I asked for my MAC code. With the credit already on my account, it leaves me £8.91 still outstanding on my account.

Now it's not the money - it's the principle here, they are just ripping me off after many, many years of being a loyal customer.  I have no intention whatsoever of paying this extra amount, but I did contact them to try and get them to withdraw it as I saw it as unfair and unjust.... but they won't - it's an "express disconnection charge". So, as promised - I have now cancelled my mobile contract with o2, my wife's mobile contract and my two daughters contracts with o2 (all had expired anyway and were just ticking along on an ad-hoc basis) and we are all off to Orange T Mobile....

O2 can kiss my behind. I will never use any of their services again .....and I am not paying them the £8.91 they claim I owe either.

Brilliant customer service from o2 there - they are now over a 100 quid a month lighter and we all have better deals elsewhere, all over less than 9 quid. No wonder they need to sell services off .....

Message 1 of 15
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

As an update to this situation as I notice many or most people never revisit when they get to the end of the problem they posted about ....

I complained to o2 about this matter through their official complaints channel.

They investigated and after a period found that I was correct and had never been told about any notice period and confirmed there should have been no penalty charge. They refunded the amount to my account along with a good will payment.

Whilst I was extremely happy with the outcome and felt completely vindicated, I had already transferred my phone contract to another provider, ending a very long tenure with o2.

If only their online staff at the end of my email exchanges had been more helpful, instead of parroting obviously pre-printed company statements - I would still have been with them.

Instead they lost my broadband AND my phone in the end...individually a drop in the ocean to them perhaps, but drops grow to trickles, trickles to streams and streams to rivers if one is not careful wink

Message 12 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

I'm not defending O2, or saying that what they did is right or wrong, but if you don't pay them what they say you owe, or at least for the moment dispute it, it will go against your credit rating. Even not paying the £8.91 can have a significant impact further down the road, should you ever need a credit check. Also, just cancelling your mobile contracts without giving 30 day's notice will have an impact on your credit rating. You may be angry about the current situation, but if you don't resolve it and just walk away without settling things, you are only shooting yourself in the foot.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Th woman I got my PAC code from, just told me I can cancel the mobile contracts with no fee's or penaties. They will get suitable notice though.

I have not just left this matter alone, I am pushing it through the o2 complaints procedure now.

Message 3 of 15

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Were you told this from someone you actually spoke to, or was it on chat? If it's chat, I wouldn't trust it. The normal procedure is 30 day's notice. Just make sure you can back up what you've been told with an ability to reference it. I'm only saying this so you ensure that you are protecting yourself. By all means lodge your complaint if you feel you have been wronged. Good luck.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 15

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Remember to document everything and ask for proof of the conversation and more importantly dates. 

BTW, I think you've been a little rash - £200 credit for basically doing nothing was rather good. The migration exercise would have taken quite a while and I believe the sale hasn't quite been finalised so you'd have a free year of broadband and quite likely credit on leaving. 

Message 5 of 15

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
30 days notice is written into all the t&c's. The debate as to right or wrong is a different one but the contracts you entered into have to be upheld by both parties....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

The conversation was verbal - on telephone and should be on record. I have emailed o2's complaints people with the date of the conversation and asked them to review it.

The money itself is immaterial. I was even offered a £200 credit at the time to stay with o2 due to my length of service with them and still declined the offer. I am not rich, but I am not short of money.

I do what I do, on what I believe to be right or wrong at the time.

This is a matter of principle.

Had I been told 7 days, 30 days or whatever notice was due - I would have abided by it and paid it up or suffered the penalty. I was not told anything.

In addition to that though - I have still paid up front for a broadband service in advance anyway. I am paid up until May 4th, even though I am now elsewhere - yet they still levy this charge. That payment is far more than the 30 days that may or may not be due.

That is just ridiculous. .

Message 7 of 15

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Two weeks later, I just received yet another email from o2, saying they had levied a further £15.50 disconnection charge on me for not giving them enough notice !! That notice had never been mentioned when I asked for my MAC code..

Normally when the MAC is issued you are asked not to use it for 7 days to avoid the £15.50 cancellation fee.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 8 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's cool Perksie. Had I been told that mate - I would have abided by it.

BUT - I wasn't told that - and that is the crux of my argument.

Message 9 of 15

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
I agree in that any charges should have been made clear to you up front. Make sure you ask for the recording of your call to be listened to as part of your complaints review....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 10 of 15