cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

o2 are ripping me off (well trying to)

Anonymous
Not applicable

So - I have happily used o2's broadband for probably 7/8 years now, and I've had my mobile number with them for nearer 20 years I think.

Recently I had a letter stating that o2 had just sold their broadband service to Sky (my broadband contract was long since fulfilled, I am on a rolling basis now).

In common with many o2 users,  I really do not want Sky broadband, so I contacted o2 and explained the same, they offered me a 200 quid credit to stay because of the length of time I've been with them..but I insisted I wanted a MAC code which they gave me, and I migrated over to BT Infinity....which, incidentally also gives me much faster connection cos I am now on fibre optic.

So - a week later, I got a letter from o2 saying I still owed them a months Broadband (9.50). As I pay in advance for my broadband, I was somewhat puzzled and spoke to someone who said it was correct, I was not happy but paid it anyway on my card.

Two weeks later, I just received yet another email from o2, saying they had levied a further £15.50 disconnection charge on me for not giving them enough notice !! That notice had never been mentioned when I asked for my MAC code. With the credit already on my account, it leaves me £8.91 still outstanding on my account.

Now it's not the money - it's the principle here, they are just ripping me off after many, many years of being a loyal customer.  I have no intention whatsoever of paying this extra amount, but I did contact them to try and get them to withdraw it as I saw it as unfair and unjust.... but they won't - it's an "express disconnection charge". So, as promised - I have now cancelled my mobile contract with o2, my wife's mobile contract and my two daughters contracts with o2 (all had expired anyway and were just ticking along on an ad-hoc basis) and we are all off to Orange T Mobile....

O2 can kiss my behind. I will never use any of their services again .....and I am not paying them the £8.91 they claim I owe either.

Brilliant customer service from o2 there - they are now over a 100 quid a month lighter and we all have better deals elsewhere, all over less than 9 quid. No wonder they need to sell services off .....

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, I have done that slight_smile

Message 11 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

As an update to this situation as I notice many or most people never revisit when they get to the end of the problem they posted about ....

I complained to o2 about this matter through their official complaints channel.

They investigated and after a period found that I was correct and had never been told about any notice period and confirmed there should have been no penalty charge. They refunded the amount to my account along with a good will payment.

Whilst I was extremely happy with the outcome and felt completely vindicated, I had already transferred my phone contract to another provider, ending a very long tenure with o2.

If only their online staff at the end of my email exchanges had been more helpful, instead of parroting obviously pre-printed company statements - I would still have been with them.

Instead they lost my broadband AND my phone in the end...individually a drop in the ocean to them perhaps, but drops grow to trickles, trickles to streams and streams to rivers if one is not careful wink

Message 12 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Why should o2 be allowed to charge for uses in spain on movistar which are not over your uk useage allowance . they are both owned by Telefonica so they are the same company  even if they say they are not . It is time this practice was stopped!!!

Message 13 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

credit scores are there to keep us in line and scaremonger people with talk of future eventualities.

there are no principles in credit scores or the people who manipulate them.

my credit scores went through the roof years ago thanks to certain tactics deployed by corporate companies that could have behaved more appropriately but chose not to.

i could have paid what was banded around at the time but i chose not to, mainly out of principle but also as i, too, do not appreciate being ripped off.

life may be better or at least easier if i did not have principles or maybe more money than sense so i could simply chuck a wedge at the problem and watch it disappear, but i have more principles than money, which is unfortunate, however id still say you can stick your credit scores up that thing you are talking out of!

he can go on experian and put a note on the score saying the reason why its there and anything that isnt right. other 'future' credit checks will be aware of this note and if they are a decent company will disregard the small irritant and look at the guys other 20 years worth of credit ratings. so i doubt mentioning credit scores will have this fellow running to the toilet to drop off his bricks...

Message 14 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

apologies for reposting however it appears the guys problem is no more, and goes to show what can be achieved when discussions or queries are acted upon in a proper manner, rather than throwing comments about damaging a person's credit rating straight from the off.

Message 15 of 15