cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

o2 HD Voice - working in Glossop

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

o2 have been doing some work on the local masts recently in and around Glossop. I think it's part of their network refresh programme as they've around 3 times already since the 9th and are back again on the 20th for more maintenence.

Anyway back to HD voice. On the 9th of April I made a call to my friend. As soon as dialling tone came through my speakers I knew something was very different. The 'ring ring' tone much clearer and louder than normal.

Once connected the call was crystal clear and nothing like I've ever heard on o2! I'd say it's easily as good as skype/ factime audio.

I instantly knew this was HD voice and that my friend would be on o2. Asked them what network they were on and yes it was o2. Their phone was one of the new Sony Xperias. I then called another friend on o2 who has an Iphone 4. This doesn't support HD voice and as expected the call was of the usual low quality.

I can also confirm that calling friends with new phones on Tesco and Giffgaff (on the same mast with 3g connection) also gives HD voice calls. The quality is easily as good as skype/ facetime audio on some calls.

Interestingly if i call the same friends when I'm not in the Glossop area ( 3g signal) the calls connect in normal o2 quality so this is definetely area specific for now.

As expected calls to people on other networks are standard quality.

What is suprising is that on Google I can't find  anything about o2 HD voice in the UK. As we know o2 had said they have no plans to roll it out in the UK leaving it the only network without it.  Perhaps this is about to change....

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
I'm pretty sure it's active in my part of the country too but I've found nothing to confirm it as yet.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 12

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

I had a search and found little on this, it's called VoLTE if you want to look further.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 3 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

my understanding is that VoLTE is for phonecalls over the 4G LTE network only. The HD calls I have experienced were made the 3G network and the same HD Voice/ Wideband audio codec that the other networks already have in place.

I'm guessing we'll hear more soon from O2 themselves assuming this is a trial of some sorts.

Message 4 of 12

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi,

my understanding is that VoLTE is for phonecalls over the 4G LTE network only. The HD calls I have experienced were made the 3G network and the same HD Voice/ Wideband audio codec that the other networks already have in place.

I'm guessing we'll hear more soon from O2 themselves assuming this is a trial of some sorts.

Hopefully they will let us know. I am used to it on my three sim now and the difference is very distinct. 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 12

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

That could be right, I'm guessing we'll have to wait and see if they decide to share this with the rest of us.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Message 6 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

I wonder how this would be charged - would it come off minutes or data?

Message 7 of 12

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

My guess is in the future everything will be charged as data.

Message 8 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

@perksie wrote:

My guess is in the future everything will be charged as data.

I was just sitting on the, err, thinking throne, pondering this - and came to the same conculsion myself!

Message 9 of 12

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

I was just looking at the sim tariffs, over £22 a month you get unlimted texts and calls, the only difference is for data.

They will I think before too long just charge on data usage and you can do what you like up to a limit.

Message 10 of 12