cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

o2 Debt

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, went to apply for a mortgage, done a credit check before going through a lengthy process, only to my shock found an outstanding balance of £8 on my account from 2009, no idea what or how, anyone any idea how to pay/clear this debt. I didnt receive any warnings, letters, emails stating i had this debt on my account and now i have a black mark against my credit! Absolutely disgusted, especially as its only £8!
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
That said, if it does impact (unlikely) then let me know. There is a process you can follow, 60/40 success rate and involves a bit of a battle with o2 but I can let you know how to do it.

But i don't think you will need to.
Message 11 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just for information,  I have ascertained from the Direct Debit organisation that:-

"Under the Direct Debit scheme rules there is no obligation for the Service User or your bank to advise you that a Direct Debit has been returned unpaid. It is possible for the Service User to re-present the Direct Debit up to 1 month from the original due date, but they are not obliged to inform you when doing so."

As others have said, and it can hardly be emphasised strongly enough, it is up to Customers to ensure that there are always sufficient funds availble in their account to cover the Direct Debits arrangements they have entered into. 

Message 12 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
So.. got onto live chat last night and spoke to someone about clearing this debt and they give me a number to phone, 10mins later debt was cleared! (Instead of emailing and having to wait 10 days for a reply) payment was £7.89 such a small amount and would never have known other than doing a credit check! Never once received a letter, call or email.. if it was £700 id say it'd be a different story all together!

Phone number i called was 08000325302.. she said the default will be removed from my credit file now but can take up to 60 days for this to happen.
Message 13 of 23

Cleoriff
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
So.. got onto live chat last night and spoke to someone about clearing this debt and they give me a number to phone, 10mins later debt was cleared! (Instead of emailing and having to wait 10 days for a reply) payment was £7.89 such a small amount and would never have known other than doing a credit check! Never once received a letter, call or email.. if it was £700 id say it'd be a different story all together!

Phone number i called was 08000325302.. she said the default will be removed from my credit file now but can take up to 60 days for this to happen.

I hope that happens for you @Anonymous  (I just googled the number and can't find anything about it) As a matter of interest how do you know the default was actually removed? Not being negative at all..I am genuinely interested..:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 14 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Cleoriff You've got me worrying now haha i wont know until its been logged and removed from my credit report basically..
Message 15 of 23

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Cleoriff
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
@Cleoriff You've got me worrying now haha i wont know until its been logged and removed from my credit report basically..

I really don't want to worry you wink  It's such a small amount it should never have affected your rating at all, in my opinion.  It would be good to hear from you that it has been done... so please come back and let us know...Smiley Very Happy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 17 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just got back onto live chat and theuy confirmed its their payment debt number.. strange nothing came up on google. Small amount yes but came up on my credit file as a default.. in their eyes a default is a default at the end of the day no matter the size. possibly if they looked into it and seen the size of it they may have overruled it i dont know. But was declined credit a couple of times and never knew why as ive never had a loan credit cards or anything before. Ill hopefully get back to you lot in a short time with good news!! Thanks again
Message 18 of 23

Cleoriff
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Good luck to you @Anonymous Look forward to hearing from you soon wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 19 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AnonymousI hate to wee on your parade but Live Chat have misinformed you. The default will NOT be removed.

What will happen is that o2 will update your credit file to show that the debt has been settled Feb 15 but the original default will remain.

Remember I said you had options? Well here are your choices (in no particular order):

1. You are able to place a Notice of Correction on your credit file. This is basically your opportunity to explain what happened in your words and organisations thinking of offering you credit can choose to accept or decline the additional info.

2. You have already contacted credit referrals. They will almost certainly refuse to remove the default as it is a correct reflection of the account. But you need to wait for their response. Once you have it you can then issue a complaint by emailing complaintreviewservice@o2.com all the details. They will almost certainly reject your complaint for the same reason. Once they have responded you can ask for their Final Response (that is what it is called). This will be in the form of a letter or email and will include details of the Ombudsman Service.

3. Make a referral to the Ombudsman Service (you MUST have completed stage 2 above before you do this). Your chances of success depends on whether o2 can demonstrate they made reasonable attempts to contact you. This is where it has got tricky for others previously as o2 have claimed to have sent letters and emails but other members claimed not. O2 failed to provide copies (they should keep financial records for 6 years). If they have no copies I rate your chances at 60/40. If they can convince the Ombudsman on the balance of probabilities that they did try to contact you then your chances are 10/90.

But if it makes you feel better by referring to the Ombudsman Service you will cost o2 £300. Won't solve your issue but might make you feel better.

Live Chat is really NOT recommended for this stuff. They will make a pigs ear of it and cause more trouble than it is worth. Stick to the credit referrals team and the complaint review service for your own sanity.

Message 20 of 23