cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new tech to help people to live safely .....

Anonymous
Not applicable

..... in their own homes, as they get older, live alone, with disabling health & the like

just read on my local County Council website about something called telecare 

it involes discreet sensors being placed around the home to detect occurrences & alert eg carers

I shall look more into this tomorrow, as its getting late in the day for me to 'take things in'

wherever I go in my home my orange Nokia Lumia 640 goes with me ..... because eg if I had an accident say a fall, then no-one would know & something similar has occurred in my family some time ago involving un-necessary sufferring because this person had a fall in their home

has anyone heard of this telecare where you are 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

..... in their own homes, as they get older, live alone, with disabling health & the like

just read on my local County Council website about something called telecare 

it involes discreet sensors being placed around the home to detect occurrences & alert eg carers

I shall look more into this tomorrow, as its getting late in the day for me to 'take things in'

wherever I go in my home my orange Nokia Lumia 640 goes with me ..... because eg if I had an accident say a fall, then no-one would know & something similar has occurred in my family some time ago involving un-necessary sufferring because this person had a fall in their home

has anyone heard of this telecare where you are 

There is another one like this called piper lifeline where they put alarm cords in every room & usually issue you with a choice of pendant or bracelet to wear around the home which you can press to call for help. There will be a main alarm call box in your living room which when one of the alarms is pressed sets off a call to a call centre who will then contact the relevant emergency services

Message 2 of 11

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13534 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Yeah, my granddad in law had a system like this in place, he developed falls later in life and with his bracelet he could get help quicker if he was injured.
Message 3 of 11

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 124238 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7513 Solutions

I have heard of Telecare Jane.

Something which is absolutely invaluable for offering remote care of elderly and physically less able people, providing the care and reassurance needed to allow them to remain living in their own homes. Initially it can be provided via a pendant which is linked to a phone for assistance

Or for those in a higher risk category, the use of  sensors may be part of a package which can provide support for people with illnesses such as dementia or people at risk of falling.

http://www.telecare.org.uk/consumer-services/what-is-telecare

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 124238 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7513 Solutions

Just to add to the above...the biggest issue for it's implementation is funding

30-50% of people pay for the service privately....Some local social services or NHS may help towards the cost of providing it....though of course this will be dependent on where you live...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

thank you all above ^^^ ^^^ ^^^ for your replies

the blue link you put up Cleoriff = very thorugh & informative

I'm off to ring North Yorkshire County Council now to have a chat with them

all have a good day Cat

Message 6 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

have just rung NYCC Social Care department, yes they do telecare

person I have spoken to was very very helpful

the lovely lady is going to ring me back, after she attends a meeting, in order for an occupational home assessment to be arranged & a financial assessment, which I'm not frightened of 

Message 7 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 124238 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7513 Solutions

Brilliant news Jane. Bouncy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 11

jonsie
  • 93274 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

Always a good thing to take these extra precautions. If anything happened to me at home it would be weeks before I was discovered. 

Message 9 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

Always a good thing to take these extra precautions. If anything happened to me at home it would be weeks before I was discovered. 

Awwwww jonsie ..... I'd find you in time mate ..... 'I'd feel it in my waters' LOL

Message 10 of 11