Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

least expensive way of keeping a UK mobile number while abroad

Colin4
Level 1: Joiner
  • 15 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I'm an o2 Pay Monthly customer with a dual-SIM phone.  I've just moved abroad, and expect to be abroad for at least a year.  I want to keep my UK mobile number.

What is the least expensive way of doing so?

I've just spoken to o2 customer service, who offer packages that come with large data allowances that I just don't need.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35049 Posts
  • 221 Topics
  • 1557 Solutions

If at the end of your contract, assuming it is O2 Refresh, you can pay off your device plan balance and switch to a SIMO, SIM-only contract, and transfer your number to that new SIM: Guide: Sim Swap: a mini guide 2017 update @Colin4 - don't be tempted to move to PAYG, that requires you to top up regularly and to make at least one chargeable call every 180days.

And get a local SIM, PAYG if you wish, in the country you have moved to for use locally - some countries mandate a residency requirement, so check it out via a local phone shop if you can.

Good luck!

Message 2 of 3

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions

@Colin4 

Just switch to PAYG whilst away then you can switch back to a contract when you return.

You only need to top up once every 6 months so a year on PAYG will cost you £20.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 3