Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 16 pro Max switch up

squid7827
Level 1: Joiner
  • 13 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi there. Curious if O2 do credit checks for switch ups or if it’s just an O2 arrears check? Don’t have the best credit history including a previous insolvency, so want to know what the odds of getting accepted are before I go in store and spend the £50 pre ordering the device on Friday. Wanting the 1TB model if that makes any difference.

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

Benlfc
Level 7: Part Timer
  • 348 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

@squid7827 I wouldn’t bother talking to live chat, if you spoke to 10 different advisors every single one would tell you something different, if not every single one at least half of them 🤣 

Message 11 of 24

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149079 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28465 Solutions

You can ask live chat the time and they'd get it wrong.

Bottom line is that you will be credit checked. If you already have an account with O2 and it is in good standing, you are likely to be accepted for a switch up. For a new contract, however, it is highly unlikely.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 12 of 24

jonsie
  • 93929 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7017 Solutions

By being offered credit cards then obviously credit checks will have been done

Hope they weren't too recent...

Message 13 of 24

squid7827
  • 13 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I’m not stupid, I know credit checks will have been done. But it was in March, if you must know. And soft searches are also a thing.

Message 14 of 24

squid7827
  • 13 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Sorry - would you advise skipping live chat and just asking in store? I assume the credit check would be done before taking the deposit for the new device?

Message 15 of 24

MI5
  • 149079 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28465 Solutions

@squid7827 wrote:

Sorry - would you advise skipping live chat and just asking in store? I assume the credit check would be done before taking the deposit for the new device?

@squid7827 

The deposit has to be paid when you pre order.

The credit check doesn't take place until you go to collect the phone and complete the process.

The deposit will be returned if you fail, but in fairness, we've never heard of anyone failing a switch up check.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 16 of 24

squid7827
  • 13 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

That’s great. I’ve also heard of some horror stories of balances being wiped but failing the checks so can’t get the old phone back - is that a thing? Sorry for the bombardment just nice to talk to someone who knows their stuff!

Message 17 of 24

MI5
  • 149079 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28465 Solutions

Lots of speculation on here about that @squid7827 but no one has ever posted here that it has happened to them, so far.

Message 18 of 24

squid7827
  • 13 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Feel like I’m taking a risk with that. Hopefully when I go into store on Friday they can explain a little bit better

Message 19 of 24

jonsie
  • 93929 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7017 Solutions

@squid7827 wrote:

I’m not stupid, I know credit checks will have been done. But it was in March, if you must know. And soft searches are also a thing.

Why so defensive to the point of being downright rude?

I was just pointing out that you have had credit check or checks as you said cards...plural

And just so you know I'm not stupid either, I do know all about soft checks and hard checks

As I worked 12 years at RBS doing credit checks for credit card let me assure you that credit card checks are hard checks!

Message 20 of 24