Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPad Air 5th Gen wireless and cellular - O2 monthly sim

BruceWA
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have recently bought an iPad Air 5th Gen WiFi and Cellular - I do not own an iPhone.

I have no issue with connecting via the O2 sim for data, but I am having an issue with the O2 sim and making changes to MyO2.    As I understand things the iPad will not send or receive text/messages via the sim except when using emails to message.  Unfortunately it appears when I want to make changes to my O2 account etc O2 will insist on sending data to the phone number associated with the sim in my iPad. and the iPad just cannot receive them so I can never proceed.

What if anything am I doing wrong or missing?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10271 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3021 Solutions

@BruceWA 

Yes you cant send or receive SMS on an iPad, as such you need to take out the sim card and put it in a phone, and then get the code off it and then put back in the iPad.. 

This is the downside of having a Data Only Sim.

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144950 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27778 Solutions

@madasaf1sh wrote:

@BruceWA 

This is the downside of having a Data Only Sim.

Not related to a data sim as all data sims have 100 free sms messages included per month.

It's a downside of O2's idiotic processes that force an sms verification for devices that can't support sms.

With so many more secure options available these days for account verification, it's about time O2 got with the 21st century.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 4

Oxonian
Level 29: Intuitive
  • 6280 Posts
  • 111 Topics
  • 22 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

With so many more secure options available these days for account verification, it's about time O2 got with the 21st century.

Agree fully @MI5.

SIM hijacking scams would become useless if everyone moved over to Microsoft Authenticator (or similar) account verification processes.  

Message 4 of 4