cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

game changer EE making a major play on the 2G market

Anonymous
Not applicable

http://www.mobilenewscwp.co.uk/2017/09/18/73148/

looks like EE are going to smash it again with the latest tech for improving 2g!! whats everyones thoughts???

James 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12067 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
good for customers who have a device that can take advantage of it!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 2 of 9

ewanrw
Level 10: Inspirational
  • 342 Posts
  • 15 Topics
  • 9 Solutions

That's not quite right...

They're reducing 2G capacity and increasing 4G capacity on their 1800MHz 2G spectrum.

Good news for 4G users tho'.

ewan

Message 3 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ewanrw tehy are expanding their 2g to 4g not phasing it out,,,, thus meaning more customers can enjoy the 4g experiance 

Message 4 of 9

ewanrw
  • 342 Posts
  • 15 Topics
  • 9 Solutions

Hey,

The headline is a play on words.

"We’re converting 2G into 4G", so they are indeed phasing out 2G technology, as you'll need a 4G device to use it.

This is exactly the same as what they did to launch 4G in the first place, which was to refarm 2G 1800MHz into 4G 1800MHz, knock-on effect it reduced 2G capacity which as Mr Allera infers, no-one is using anyway.

This latest move is another step toward turning off 2G over the next couple of years.

Cheers

ewan

Message 5 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

the way it reads it looks like they are just upgrading the 2g to 4g to allow those in restricted area's to benifit from 4g and have a greater user experiance!!! confusing article 

Message 6 of 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
This is definitely the demise of 2g.
In 2 years time, I expect all 2g to be refarmed on all networks so it will no longer exist in the UK.
All those old Nokia bricks etc will finally become useless.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 9

ewanrw
  • 342 Posts
  • 15 Topics
  • 9 Solutions
Agreed.

It's PR spin to prevent users with older handsets, or in 2G only areas from complaining as they're improving 4G connectivity at their expense.

Can't be many of them left as a percentage of their total customer base.

ewan
Message 8 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

so my beloved nokia N95 8gb and my Ericsson T28s will become nothing more then a shelf filer 😞 

Message 9 of 9