cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

forum rules regarding discussion of rooting.

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
With O2 having uk exclusive stock of the BQ Aquaris X5, @MI5 has pointed out quite correctly, that we cannot discuss the os or features of the phone as it is a rooted device.
In light of this, and our inability to assist members due to our limitations regarding root discussions, isn't it time that the "no root talk" rule is dropped.
As android root talk is like for like. Discussion of one device is as good as discussion for the other, especially when similar SOC are used.

So, are we to not assist in the discussion of this device, or are we at a stage now where discussing root features is now allowed?
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
We should at least be allowed to discuss the potential dangers of messing with system files........?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 24

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Better than trying to explain why they now own a silicone brick, surely...
I can see it now, even the most simple root messing like swapping boot animation, could easily result in a system boot file being swapped with a boot ani zip.
Game over.
Message 3 of 24

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I wonder which recovery they are using.....?
and at least a basic understanding of ADB is a must, surely?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 24

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

You have both lost me now with all this technospeak...so could I ask a bog standard dumbo question?

What on earth is cyanogenmod? (Sorry to appear a bit dense....):smileysad:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 24

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
An open source operating system based on the pure android open source project.
Many, many, MANY custom roms are based around cyanogen and it is highly regarded as the "goto" solution for a rooted, fully modifiable firmware.
Many a time will you see on XDA a member say "I'll wait for CM" meaning they'll root and rom ONLY when the device has a stable cyanogen build for it.
Message 6 of 24

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
In simple terms it's an open source project run by a community of developers which takes the latest version of Android and roots the firmware to allow changes to be made to each and every part of the OS.
Not only can you just change wallpaper anymore you can actually change many of the pre sets that manufacturers write into their firmware.
Change colours, startup screens, sounds, reorder menus, delete any app, make proper backups, use different framework etc, etc, etc.......

Currently using:
Message 7 of 24

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

So.....when you say to someone on here 'No you cant delete the apps built in to any device unless you root it... 

cyanogenmod allows this?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 24

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Yup
Message 9 of 24

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

And.....I can see it being a problem with any assistance given for that new BQ X5 device just announced....(I think I am correct saying that?)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 24