Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eSims: Opinions pls

H3LLCAT505
Level 5: Ponderer
  • 352 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Obviously Apple removed physical SIMs entirely on iPhone 14 onwards sold in the US and prompts others to adopt the optional eSIM during setup. This is likely to be become the norm in other regions and other phone manufacturers almost certainly likely to follow suit (removing headphone jack, removing chargers). 

One obvious benefit is the reduction in plastic waste and pollution, which is no small thing, given that there now are more SIM cards in circulation than people on the planet.

I moved to O2 on a SIM only 12 month plan 3/4 months ago. In May next year I plan to get a new device and move to a Switch Up contract and probably update once a year when the new iPhones come out. So I wanting to know if I should move to eSIM?

I’ve heard a few horror stories (on multiple networks) with problems either setting up eSIMs or transferring them to new devices. Were these just initial problems due to being new technology that the UK networks didn’t have experience in. Has it got better? So basically wanting to hear opinions and hear people’s experience with eSIMs especially the setting them up and transferring them over to their new phones during an update. 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6777 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 1514 Solutions

I've had no problems with my eSIM installed mid year 2022 and transferred this April to my present phone.

However, the eSim does not give me the flexibility to do a quick swap to another handset and back, say to test something out.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 2 of 9

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10275 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3021 Solutions

This is the reason my main o2 sims remain as physical sims, so I can quickly change phones, although I also have Spusu esims in phones as well, but its a quick call to get a new QR Code, (last time was 10 minutes from call to having the new phone active with esim)... 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 3 of 9

Enlli
  • 6777 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 1514 Solutions

Of course if you drop and break the nice new iPhone you can't simply take out the SIM and put it in a spare phone. And if that spare phone you kept for just such an emergency does not handle eSIM? Well that's going to be a right pain changing to physical SIM and then back again later.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 4 of 9

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12136 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1128 Solutions

I must be fairly rare, as I only have an o2 sim (and a work one, but that is in the work phone)

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 5 of 9

Oxonian
Level 29: Intuitive
  • 6280 Posts
  • 111 Topics
  • 22 Solutions

@H3LLCAT505 

I have never used an eSim and currently don't have a need to do so. 

Issues with eSims seem to be common on the customer forums of all of the major MNOs, so I just do not see the point of adopting a technology that could cause me a lot of grief. And if I did have a problem, I have absolutely zero confidence in the Customer Services of the likes of O2 and Three to sort it out. 

Hence, unless you need or particularly want an ESim, I would tread carefully. 

Message 6 of 9

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

They will have to drag me kicking and screaming to use an esim

Plastic....it's the future 😂

Message 7 of 9

Enlli
  • 6777 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 1514 Solutions

Seem there are a few that have not bowed the knee to the Great God, Apple who knows what is in our best interests.

Mind you he is rather sore at the moment what with having to adopt USB C and now RCS

Message 8 of 9

Oxonian
Level 29: Intuitive
  • 6280 Posts
  • 111 Topics
  • 22 Solutions

@Enlli 

Think I'll stick with Samsung ! 

Message 9 of 9