Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connecting to the wi-fi on the London Underground

Colin4
Level 1: Joiner
  • 15 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My OnePlus Nord does not connect to the wi-fi on the London Underground.  It has no problem connecting to other wi-fi networks; my previous handset could connect to the wi-fi.

Following the advice at https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-and-Services/Wifi-on-the-London-Underground/m-p/1478744... and an online chat with an o2 advisor, I visited an o2 store to ask for a new SIM card.

The store staff told me that the SIM card would not help.  Instead, I should "forget" the "wi-fi extra" and Virgin wi-fi networks on the Tube, and re-connect.  (In the store, we connected my phone to an o2 wi-fi hotspot without a problem.)

Back at a Tube station, I "forgot" the two networks, and tried to connect:

1. "wi-fi extra" asked me for a domain, identity, anonymous identity and password.  When I returned to the o2 store to ask about this, they couldn't tell me what to do.

2. the Virgin wi-fi network still asks for my network (o2) and phone number, and still tells me that there's a momentary problem and that I should try later (now about a year later).

Is anyone at o2 trying to solve this, or is it easier for them to just lose customers?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

It's not been allowing new connections for ages now.

Allegedly a Virgin issue, but who knows who's telling the truth!!

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 10

Colin4
  • 15 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Are there any service providers still able to use wi-fi on the underground?

I didn't change my SIM card or number last year, when I got the new phone, so it's not clear that I should count as a 'new connection'.

Message 3 of 10

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

No idea if any other networks can use it or not, but you are a new connection as it looks for the MAC address which will be different on another phone.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 10

Colin4
  • 15 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks - this has given me an idea: I wonder if my old phone (now without a SIM card) can still connect.  I'll try next time I'm underground.

Message 5 of 10

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

Be interested to know that too.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 10

Colin4
  • 15 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Someone, in the end, my OnePlus Nord did connect to the Underground wi-fi again last autumn - for a while.

This year, it's failing in exactly the same way:

• telling me I need to sign in, asking for my phone number
  • when I provide my phone number, telling me I need to register, and that o2 will send me an SMS explaining how to do so
  • o2 does not send the SMS
  • I'm also advised to connect to an aboveground o2 hotspot, which I do

Is there anyone at o2 who actually helps customers solve this problem?  If so, how do I find that person?

Message 7 of 10

Londoner
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I'm struggling with the same issue with my pixel 6. O2 extra asks identity etc. Virgin WiFi asks for my number and says I'm not registered.. Sms to be sent which never is.

Have you found a solution to this?

Message 8 of 10

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9983 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@Londoner 

I wouldn't bother to be honest, as the VM Wifi is a pile of poo... And the database is not kept upto date by VM. 

I dont think the VM Wifi will be around for much longer as networks are putting connections in the tunnels. 

This is the only help on the service https://tfl.gov.uk/campaign/station-wifi and here https://www.o2.co.uk/help/network-coverage-and-international/wifi-on-the-underground

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 9 of 10

Londoner
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I used the VM wifi on a previous phone and found it ok, very useful for receiving messages whilst travelling to meet someone.

The link suggests using the Wifi Extra network but we are asked to enter domain, identity, anonymous identity and password when connecting.

Message 10 of 10