"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Thanks for the heads up on this @Beenherebefore. I can confirm this happened to me last week. I am running Win 7 on my laptop in the UK and the reason I don't want to upgrade is because I have a laptop in Spain also running Win 7. When I go there I want compatibility between the two laptops... and also it's my personal choice.

Anyway... long story short I clicked on the red cross to close the box and voila it start a countdown in seconds to upgrade. Luckily I panicked and shut down my laptop...so stopped it in it's tracks. Nasty underhand trick if honest...Evil.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 25

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions

Thanks for this, I've not booted up my laptop for about a week so had no idea of this...

How then do you get rid of the box without initiating the download? I've got automatic download enabled on my laptop but I'm guessing I'll have to go back to manual installs now... Grrr Microsoft are increasingly getting right on my wick!

Message 3 of 25

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Not sure how to get rid of the box @gindygoo without shutting down your laptop...The problem is 60 seconds isn't long and I was lucky enough to be sitting in front of my laptop when the pop up appeared and I clicked to 'close'. ...then had 1 minute to decide what to do as the countdown started immediately ......I just shut the whole PC down!

Edited to add:  the last sentence in the article simply states this "Customers can choose to accept or decline the Windows 10 upgrade."..... mmmmm...I don't think so...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 25

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@gindygoo wrote:

Thanks for this, I've not booted up my laptop for about a week so had no idea of this...

How then do you get rid of the box without initiating the download? I've got automatic download enabled on my laptop but I'm guessing I'll have to go back to manual installs now... Grrr Microsoft are increasingly getting right on my wick!

There's a cancel window in the middle of the screen........do not click on the red X in the top right of the screen.

It's the line beneath the date of the scheduled upgrade.

Message 5 of 25

djlukew
Level 3: Thinker
  • 53 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I don't see why so many people are still hating on Windows 10. I upgraded on day one from windows 7 and really like it.

Most things are where they should be and getting used to the dual menus (old school and touch screen optiond) of it takes a little bit of time

All personal choices obviously but it's definitely getting a bad rep when it's actually pretty good.
Message 6 of 25

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions
I agree....Win7 was good as was WinXP.

I rate Win10 alongside those 2.
Message 7 of 25

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
No probs with win10 at all - I like it and have everything running it now inc my Lumia 640.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 25

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

It's not a question of 'hating Win 10'. My husband has it and loves it. As I said earlier...I have two laptops...the second one is in Spain..Until they are both upgraded together I have no interest in running 2 laptops on two different systems...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 25

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

There are no compatibility issues running 7 on one laptop and 10 on the other. I did the same thing before updating the drivers on my main laptop. Honestly, give it a go, you can always revert to 7 again.

Message 10 of 25