cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will O2 ever invest in a Ancient Network

Anonymous
Not applicable

Has O2 any plans to get Coverage in Wales? VF is bad but O2 is even worst? Looks like there is only 1 3G network in wales and that seems to be of EE?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

It's a hilly place so it won't be too brilliant, you can check here for where the local masts are for all the providers:

http://www.sitefinder.ofcom.org.uk/

O2 have been spending over a £1M a day for the last couple of years to improve the network.

There will always be poor locations though and getting planning permission for new masts isn't easy.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 2 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

So is all of Wales network coverage bad?

I was in Cardiff and aberystwyth recently, the service was brilliant.

Message 3 of 11

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

http://www.o2.co.uk/network/future has the info.

With 4g on its way o2 is aiming for 98% indoor coverage by population on 2g 3g and 4g

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 4 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

We travel quite a bit and have to say in South and North Wales I have had better coverage with O2 both phone and mobile data than with vodafone, TMobile and 3(on a phone) over the last couple of years 3s network has improved greatly (as far as mobile broadband is concerned).

If you are using an iphone, their antenna's are not brilliant compared with other smart phones at the best of times let alone areas of difficult coverage.

There will always be patches of non coverage in areas of North Wales due to its terrain and it doesnt matter who the provider is.

Message 5 of 11

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Outside of a large town you won't get any better than GPRS/EDGE - I live in N.West Wales on Anglesey and whilst there is a mast  a few miles away and I have no geographical line of sight issues, I only get a variable signal. That's been the case for the last 14 years.

The village I live in, a prevailing wind sometimes gets you a signal and thats on both o2 & VF. A mere gust of wind will kill Orange/TMobile/3 so they're not a viable option for me. Ironically, I have picked up an Irish network in the past.

Given the spread of villages and the population I doubt 4G will be here  for a while (last on the update mast list no doubt) but in Holyhead where the density of population is greater, you get great service from all providers. Its probably the same in most villages in England/Scotland.

Message 6 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
EE seems to have coverage every where. Orange was always strong but even better with T mobile?
Message 7 of 11

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
EE seems to have coverage every where.

Bold statement, are you sure about it?

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 8 of 11

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144065 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
It must be a different EE to my work phone. Tried to make a call today whilst travelling down the M6 from Liverpool to the Midlands. The total talk time was no more than 10 mins but it took me until I'd reached Cannock to say all I wanted to say. Lost count of the number of times I lost the connection and had to redial. It's utterly atrocious esp considering I was on a major motorway and hardly off the beaten track !!
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Was the network down? Seems strange all that distance? I am on Vodafone which is terrible in west Wales. O2 is more or less non existent only some 2G. EE seems to have full signal on 3G. I had a O2 PAYG, but because it it had no signal they cut it off.
Message 10 of 11