Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi calling on a phone not bought from o2

BevG
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I bought myself a new sim free Huawei P20 Lite phone. I had already phoned o2 & asked if they supported Wifi calling on this device and was told YES.

When I got the phone there was no option in the settings to switch on Wifi calling, so I phoned o2 again to make sure my account was set up for Wifi calling (I had been previously using a Oneplus 5T that I bought from o2 & had no problems with Wifi calling)

The operator confirmed my account was set up, she told me she would disable the option & then enable it again. Then I should switch my phone off & on & it should be good to go. (I explained everything I’d done beforehand to get to where I was now!)

24hours later & still no Wifi calling! So I phoned again!  This time the operator told me straight away that because I hadn’t bought the phone from o2, they would not be able to support Wifi calling on my new device!

Has anyone had anything similar happen to them? Did you find a way around the problem at all?

Thank you ❤️

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143406 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@BevG  

The P20 isn’t a supported device I’m afraid. 

https://www.o2.co.uk/connectivity/wifi-and-4g-calling

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 6

Ste_A
Level 3: Thinker
  • 25 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Wifi calling isn't available on any Huawei phones on O2. I've got a P20 Pro and nothing. I put an EE and ID mobile sim in it and the WiFi options appear as those networks support it.

I don't think it matters where you got the phone from as long as it is a UK version. Mine was from mobiles.co.uk and WiFi calling and VoLTE work fine on the other networks even though they say it won't if it isn't from them.

Looks like you've been misinformed.
Message 3 of 6

liggerz87
Level 20: Radiant
  • 1279 Posts
  • 102 Topics
  • 15 Solutions
Agree with @Ste_A
Message 4 of 6

Foddersin
Level 3: Thinker
  • 68 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Unfortunately you have been given wrong information by the agent you spoke to asking if it was supported in the first instance.

Wifi calling and 4G calling are supported by the network, but they do not support the use of it on any Huawei handset even though the handset does support it.

Kindest Regards,
Andrew.
Samsung Galaxy S10+ on O2 UK
Nokia 1 Plus on O2 UK
Message 5 of 6

CordingBags
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Redmi Note 8T supports WiFi calling on Three, not O2. Options to activate not even shown let alone greyed out. Seems poor O2 do not generally support WiFi calling on any capable handset. Looks like my contract renewal will be going elsewhere.

Message 6 of 6