cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why has o2 now become the UKs worst network?

DNM
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello. I’d like to talk about why this god forsaken network has now become the UKs worst.

I have been with o2 for almost 7 years and I’ve been loyal to them because once upon a time they where good and reliable.

Over the last year or so though things have got much worse and what angers me is I’m paying for two contracts and o2 just expect you to pay for services you can’t even use.

It started with the basics, texting became impossible even in the town centre. The only way I could text would be connected to wifi (on sky) otherwise no message I sent would get delivered. This started a year ago. Around 6 months ago or so my data speeds have became non existent. I did a speed test on both of my SIM cards, during the day I’m getting between 0.4kbps and 1.2kbps. No faster. I have one of my sims in my wireless router with unlimited data. If I reboot the router the speed starts off at around 114kbps but then drops to 0.0kbps and back to the usual 0.4-1.2kbps. This is on both SIM cards and I’ve taken screenshots of this.

contacting o2 does nothing, they claim to send engineers out then they claim it’s “been fixed” but it never does get fixed. And now when you try to contact them on the app all you constantly get is “our team is busy right now so we can’t connect you” which just frustrates you even more.

I’ve complained about this so many times to o2 it’s now like talking to a brick wall. After years of loyalty I’m sickened that this is how they treat their paying customers.

the ONLY time I get even close to a decent speed is after 1am but I should not be expected to either wait until then or sit up and use my data then. I’ve had managers (so called) brush my complaint away simply saying “oh the mast is busy in your area, sorry about that” (no follow up just that one comment) I’ve had managers offer me a one month refund which is equally stupid because I’d still have the same issues the next month. I’ve had customer services simply close my complaint without even a reply and without warning. Meanwhile I’m wasting money on crap and they are quite happy to keep robbing me.

I did some shopping around and found another network offering far better speeds (100Mbps) plus even better packages than I’m on now with o2 and for less money, I asked o2 for my PAC code as I want to keep my number and their response “you’ll need to clear off your remaining contract first”……I know that’s BS, firstly I can request my PAC anytime I like and secondly I’m being charged for a service I can’t even use during normal hours so under consumer law I don’t have to pay anything off as I can prove it.

it’s rumoured that 4G speeds are being syphoned off to boost 5G which I can agree with because this started when o2 boasted that 5G came to my town, BUT the stupidity of that is 5G isn’t even available in my area. So why o2 honestly expect any customer to pay for a service that has got this bad is an utter joke as during the day the basic functions of the network are non existent. I can text fine at my parents but anywhere else in town I can’t. You try and tell them there is a major issue and they are simply oblivious. They believe what their screen tells them over what we the actual customer is going through. I’ve got to the point now I’ve lost all respect I had for this network and I’m no longer interested in their excuses.

are any of you experiencing this god awful treatment?

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 23671 Posts
  • 1041 Topics
  • 3752 Solutions

@DNM See this guide to cancel: Cancelling your contract - An updated guide - O2 Community

Take a look at this link to lodge a formal complaint: How to Complain | Help | O2 We've been told Resolver within that link produces favourable results.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 16

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93492 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6998 Solutions

Personally I wouldn't put up with the service

Get your PAC by text but be prepared for O2 to call you to try and entice you to stay

Bit pointless when coverage is so poor for you

And there is no doubt in my mind that O2 are struggling to provide adequate coverage particularly with an extra 3 million Virginmedia customers using the masts. They are at best 3rd out of the four main networks. lagging behind EE and Three. Then it's a toss up for worst between O2 and Vodaphone

Guide: How to get your PAC [June 2021 Update] #

Good luck

Message 3 of 16

DNM
  • 5 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Ah. Perfect. I wasn’t aware I could get my PAC by text! That’s a massive relief thank you buddy!

if o2 cared about me staying even after my years of loyal service. They wouldn’t have jumped straight to the “clear your contract off” when I asked for my PAC code, they would have either offered me the same deal I got offered from the other network or something better. Well, not better as I’d never be able to use it but they’d make the effort if they cared for their loyal customers that much. Where I am EE and Vodafone are the two best networks now. O2 use to be top but not anymore. GifGaf are no better as they piggy back o2. Three are worse here as you can’t get a signal full stop.

your right about the virgin media customers, the network was already saturated before adding them which the guys at the top would have known, so it’s obvious they put profit first over their customers. If it was me in the CEO chair my customers who pay my salary would be the focus. Not other networks looking to piggyback or syphon my bandwidth. Take away the customers there’s no business. That’s true of any business. They aren’t prioritising the right things.

Massive thanks for the PAC information buddy that will save me a headache of phoning for it while they BS me. Much appreciated 😊

Message 4 of 16

DNM
  • 5 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks. Last I heard resolver had a 6 month backlog and customers could have upto an 8 week wait for a response. It’s still an option though, but I’m at the point I’ve gave them long enough, far longer than they needed and required. They even make it difficult to cancel a basic Apple Watch plan, you can add it on the o2 app but to cancel “you must phone”….As a network they are seriously so frustrating, I absolutely hate this network now. Thanks for your reply buddy.

Message 5 of 16

pgn
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 37497 Posts
  • 239 Topics
  • 1706 Solutions

@DNM - Resolver works, and their standard wording says about 8 weeks for a response to a complaint about O2. Having used them, I can say I had a resolution within 2 months - not sure how that has gone now it is VMO2, but the sooner you start a case with Resolver for an O2 issue, the sooner you will get a proper answer. Good luck!

https://news.resolver.co.uk/resolvers-top-and-bottom-mobile-providers-for-issue-resolution/

Message 6 of 16

Enlli
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 7340 Posts
  • 53 Topics
  • 1606 Solutions

I wish customers would get rid of the idea of 'loyalty'. O2, and others like them are a Capitalist Company working in a Capitalist society, loyalty means nothing to them and it shouldn't to the customer. 

On average for every customer that leaves there is another to take their place.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 7 of 16

Obbzy
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

o2 has a mast where I live which has just been left broken for over 10 years.  No matter the amount of complaints made.

The best solution is just to complain about them to the ombudsman.  Companies like o2 take the *bleep*, they do not provide service, then use weak arguments like, we never said we would.. pretty certain thats what we pay for.

Complain, stop allowing companies like this to take the *bleep*.

DO NOT use resolver however.

Resolver is not going to help and just allows o2 to close complaints whenever they desire.

Go directly to the communications ombudsman.  o2 should be held accountable for their god awful services.

Message 8 of 16

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 10895 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 3121 Solutions

@Obbzy 

They dont have to provide coverage or repair a mast, they are a private company... and at the end of the day there is is no USO in place for mobile coverage.. 

The ombusdman cant force o2 to put a mast in...

The simple answer is to just pay up and leave for another network...

You dont pay for a service level agreement either, unless you pay o2 in the £100K's.. 

Shame you dont read your terms and conditions, and dont test other networks before taking a deal to get a freebie...

--
iPhone 15 Pro Max - o2 and Spusu
Xperia 1V - Spusu

--
This is not customer services and we dont have access to your account
I do not work for o2 or any VMo2 /Telefonica/Liberty Global Company
Message 9 of 16

Enlli
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 7340 Posts
  • 53 Topics
  • 1606 Solutions

Well you can wast your time and effort contacting the ombudsman who will do absolutely nothing, or you can use your time wisely trying out PAYG SIM cards on the other three networks to see which is best for you.

One has to ask, if a mast has been down 10 years (most likely decommissioned) then why are you still with O2?

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 10 of 16