cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does the O2 sign in not accept non-alphanumeric charaacters?

Anonymous
Not applicable

As above really, it makes passwords harder to crack but seemingly the sign in system doesn't allow you to include them?

Not expecting an answer from the forum team but if you could pass it on that'd be great.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie

Cheers, didn't see that.

giffgaff also use Lithium and do allow these so think it's got to be a setting somewhere.

I know symbols such as $ can be reserved, the dollar symbol is often used as a marker for variables as is % but there shouldn't be a reason why you can't use ! or #

Message 3 of 11

MI5
  • 144600 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27728 Solutions
Didn't we used to use # for links to product pages on the website?
It doesn't seem to be working anymore though!
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 11

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

I agree. Most of my passwords contain non-alphaumeric symbols apart from sites where these aren't allowed. You would think government sites would but I've found in personal dealings with many .gov services in the past months that don't allow symbols of any kind.

Message 5 of 11

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

# was used for product mentions and worked a couple of months ago when trying to add #just saying but no, aput now. @Martin-O2?

Message 6 of 11

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@jonsie product mentions were turned off a little while ago because virtually no one was using them and the list we had was not up to date. They may see a return in future.

@Anonymous I'll raise this with the team to see if there's a reason that certain symbols are excluded and I'll also see if I can get a list. wink

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 7 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

If only someone had written a guide to setting and remembering really strong passwords that could incorporate the presence or absence of any special characters, boy wonder!

Holy cryptanalytic heuristic algorithms, Batman , someone did! ----------------------> 

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Off-Topic/How-to-choose-set-and-use-really-really-safe-passwords-that-...

Then let's get it into the how to guides with all speed! To the batphone, let's call  Commissioner @Martin-O2 at once!

Message 8 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 123064 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

I agree. Most of my passwords contain non-alphaumeric symbols apart from sites where these aren't allowed. You would think government sites would but I've found in personal dealings with many .gov services in the past months that don't allow symbols of any kind.

The Government Gateway website doesn't allow symbols, I tried for someone else and it was deemed 'Not Valid'

Also the # symbol no longer allows us to mention mobiles or devices....No idea what happened there. We had no notice it was being 'disbanded'

Edited to add: Just read what @Martin-O2 posted above re the # symbol... Duh me...LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 11

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@jonsie wrote:

The Government Gateway website doesn't allow symbols, I tried for someone else and it was deemed 'Not Valid'

Also the # symbol no longer allows us to mention mobiles or devices....No idea what happened there. We had no notice it was being 'disbanded'

Edited to add: Just read what @Martin-O2 posted above re the # symbol... Duh me...LOL

#numpty

#wakethehellup

LOL

Message 10 of 11