cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Can't ...

Anonymous
Not applicable

1 Word ... Spelt 1 Way ... = ... Have 1 Meaning ?

I still have my old Pocket Oxford OED Oxford English Dictionary from when at senior school ... I am 62 now

Tody's tech language is developing like technology daily ... & ... there is confusion Confused terminology more than ever now is sooo important to get your message across in mixed media / 'text' 

Cat

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Just try teaching a Thai wife the difference between they, their and they're....and all the other variations of any words that sound the same but spelt completetely different....Smiley Frustrated

Message 2 of 3

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

@jonsieGuess you have some fun explaining the difference between "ironing" and "irony" Bouncy

@Anonymous And it all originates from America. Its even worse in programming languages. My current pet detest is the word "tuple" thrown in without context Crazy 

And "Parse". I really hate that word. In english it makes sense but in programming it means 'take this set of stuff and do something with it using this long bit of code but we can't and won't explain what its actully doing but it gets the result we want'

Sheepdog in "rm -fr / xyz * isn't quite the same as rm -fr /xyz*. Oh wait is that everything gone then? Permanently?" obscure command line flag joke mode

Message 3 of 3