cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does the HIGHLIGHT option do?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yet another silly question - but its Friday and my wee brain is slowing down for the weekend.

Having nothing to do I have been looking around the Community and I notice when I read a message there is a drop down OPTIONS button at top right.  One of the options available is Highlight - but for the life of me I cannot see what it does or work out how I should use it.  It is probably very simple and obvious - just the sort of thing I normally miss - but a gentle pointer would be appreciated please.

Gerry

(wearing my TGIF hat)

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 125992 Posts
  • 831 Topics
  • 7551 Solutions

@AnonymousI use the highlight function if I want to copy and paste that reply...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 125992 Posts
  • 831 Topics
  • 7551 Solutions

Apologies for that quick reply but just as an example.

MI5 did a interesting topic about SMS and MMS.

If I wanted to keep that for reference, I would highlight it and copy and paste from the top section and store it in my personal files...... if I needed to check it out again

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 16

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Hi Gerry,

The Highlight option allows forum admins to highlight certain comments if they use that feature on the community and out them into a certain certain or location. We've been looking at ways of utilizing it, but at the moment, it doesn't do a great deal for normal members. Hope that helps?
slight_smile
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 4 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 125992 Posts
  • 831 Topics
  • 7551 Solutions

Apologies @Toby ....but I use it frequently.

If there is something of interest to me, that I want to keep I am quite often highlighting an item of interest and storing it for further reading.

I see from your reply, that probably isn't what it was intended for...but as we all learn in different ways it has proved very useful to me...:smileyhappy:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 16

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Hi Cleo,

Would you mind describing what you mean a little further?
E.g. Where do these highlighted posts go for to go back to? It sounds like a subscription slight_smile

Get involved:

Message 6 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

Apologies for that quick reply but just as an example.

MI5 did a interesting topic about SMS and MMS.

If I wanted to keep that for reference, I would highlight it and copy and paste from the top section and store it in my personal files...... if I needed to check it out again

I would use the Bookmark feature for that purpose @Cleoriff  But interesting to know how others use the Highlight - I just can't use it at all.

Gerry

Message 7 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @Toby    I wondered if @cleoriff was referring to the highlighting you get when you select text for copy or cut & paste?

Gerry

Message 8 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 125992 Posts
  • 831 Topics
  • 7551 Solutions

@Toby wrote:

Would you mind describing what you mean a little further?
E.g. Where do these highlighted posts go for to go back to? It sounds like a subscription slight_smile

Well firstly, I was actually talking about the highlight feature in the drop down box at the right hand side of every post.... (apologies if you were talking about another one.)

And nothing so nefarious as a subscription @Toby ... my personal reading only...

Sometimes I like to read things more fully, later at my leisure) if I don't save these topics I probably forget where to look for them again.....

(You will remember I have been talking to you...(begging really:smileywink:) about having a section of topics to link to quickly....in order to post a full reply?)

Well....while I wait for this...I save and store things of interest.

It's like a good book you never get tired of. I have all sorts of Android related things stored away in the hope I will become a genius....sadly it hasn't happened yet LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 16

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Thanks for the in-depth reply Cleo,

So you're saying you manually save these posts somewhere? I thought you were saying that using that highlight option saves the post automatically for you.

Apologies if I have misunderstood slight_smile

Get involved:

Message 10 of 16