Did you mean: 

What do you look for in a new tablet?

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi everyone, 

Last month we started a discussion to understand better what you look for in a new phone, and got some really interesting replies! Thanks to everyone who jumped in and shared their perspective - if you haven't yet, it's not too late nerd

Screenshot 2019-03-06 at 09.14.17.png

I thought it'd be great to get your views on tablets next, as I've read here and there that a few of you have one too.

• What size do you find most fit for purpose?
  • Do accessories or specific functionalities matter? For example a stylus/pencil for drawing, etc.
  • Are you after mobile connectivity, or Wi-Fi only?
  • Any specs you lookout for? Screen resolution, camera, etc.
  • How much storage do you think is enough? 

I'd love to hear more about what made you chose your current tablet, or what you'd look for in a new one. Your views and advice on this might also help some members that are unsure which tablet to pick. wink

Thanks!

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10652 Posts
  • 118 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Hi @EmilieT 

I would like a mobile phone/tablet not too large but a easier to read and surf than an ordinary mobile phone.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 2 of 23

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@TallTrees wrote:

Hi @EmilieT 

I would like a mobile phone/tablet not too large but a easier to read and surf than an ordinary mobile phone.

That's a good shout! I assume you don't have a tablet at the moment @TallTrees ? Would you like to have one, or are you going to pick a new mobile phone that'll be large enough for you to surf as comfortably as you would on a tablet?

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!

signature

Message 3 of 23

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10652 Posts
  • 118 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Hi @EmilieT 

I don't have a tablet at the moment.  I have a computer which I need and a mobile phone.

Sometimes when I am out I use mobile internet/data but phone is just that bit small.

I need to change my mobile end this year because Microsoft won't be supporting 

it.  I would very much like to find something inbetween a tablet and a mobile size.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 4 of 23

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@TallTrees  A compromise between a smartphone and tablet size sounds like it'd make sense for you indeed ... I look forward to knowing which phone you pick later on then! smiling 

I don't use a tablet regularly myself, but have one. As I like my phone to be small enough to fit in my pocket, the appeal of the tablet is definitely its size and portability, which are inbetween my computer/laptop and my phone. The drawing functionalities I've used a few times are also really fun!

signature

Message 5 of 23

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122355 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I have a Sony Tablet. It's 10.6 inches (so big lol). I have also got a keyboard and bluetooth mouse.

I know a lot of people prefer to use their hands to operate tablets. I don't, as my fingers are a bit arthritic and I am much better with a mouse.

I use it rarely. Normally when away, so I can watch F1 via Sky Go or The F1 app.

As I get older I do find I prefer my laptop, unless it's impractical to take it away with me.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 23

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

I have an Amazon 8" Kindle Fire HD. I use it to read, play games, listen to music and stream films and TV shows on Prime and catch up services. 

I find the 8"size to be good enough for me and what I want to do. 

For shopping on line though I use my phone, Amazon doesn't support all the shopping apps I use and I just find my phone easier for that.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 7 of 23

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@Cleoriff 

So your tablet was essentially your computer on-the-go (although now your laptop is taking over)? That's how I view it mostly too, since I have a TV and laptop at home, I rarely have a use for the tablet. 10.6 inches is huge, definitely perfect to watch F1 or catch up on some other programs! grin

@Glory1 

Did you try some other sizes before finding that 8" works best for you or was it just what you got and it turned out to be a good fit? As you are a Samsung fan, do you also mind me asking if there's any specific reason you went for a Kindle Fire rather than a Samsung tablet? Sorry for the many questions sweat_smile

signature

Message 8 of 23

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

The reason I have a Kindle Fire and not a Samsung Tab is my first Kindle Fire, 7" tablet was on offer. It was a good deal.

I chose the 8" Kindle Fire as it was new at the time and it offered expandable storage up to 256 gb which I needed badly. I was running out of space on the Kindle I had. So I ordered the new 8" which was also on a special offer and an SD card to increase storage to 128 gb. I've still plenty of space on it. Especially as I deleted loads of games I wasn't playing and kept only the ones I do play regularly.

My books on the other hand increase regularly joy

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 9 of 23

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122355 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@EmilieT 

To be honest, if I can take my laptop with me, I will.

The only problem with it (in relation to F1) is you need an android emulator installed to watch F1 through the app I use.

It's an app which only works with Android. So the emulator 'tricks' your windows PC into thinking it's Android. wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 23