cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Volte

Anonymous
Not applicable
When is 02 launching there volte every other network has released it apart from 02. They said they were trailling in quarter 4 2016 then releasing it after there has been no update or any news on this. Does anyone know anything about it.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
We understand it is being trialled but we don't have any timescales I'm afraid.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122922 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

All info here @Anonymous

http://news.o2.co.uk/2015/12/10/year-life-o2-network/

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 9

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

All info here @Anonymous

Written in 2015 and states it's coming next year Smiley Frustrated

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122922 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

@Cleoriff wrote:

All info here @Anonymous

Written in 2015 and states it's coming next year Smiley Frustrated

Ok. Now if you give me a timescale of when you are 'going out'...I wiill resist the temptation to post...LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 9

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Just trying to be helpful 😛

Currently using:
Message 6 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122922 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Just trying to be helpful 😛

I know...it just makes me giggle LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 9

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10170 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3011 Solutions
Not sure why you want VOLTE, as it will a cause a lot of headaches to start with, as the calls are routed over the data network with fall back to 2G, so basically VOIP,so will result in more dropped calls,
and I would like to see the mobile networks implementation of QOS on their infrastructure to protect voice calls..

I also wonder if in the future if using VoLTE will come out of peoples data allowance, as its a data connection at the end of the day..

For most people 2G and PSTN is ample..

Plus its only available on a few handsets, lets let o2 roll out 4G data before playing with ne
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 8 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

madasaf1sh wrote:
Not sure why you want VOLTE, as it will a cause a lot of headaches to start with, as the calls are routed over the data network with fall back to 2G, so basically VOIP,so will result in more dropped calls,
and I would like to see the mobile networks implementation of QOS on their infrastructure to protect voice calls..

I also wonder if in the future if using VoLTE will come out of peoples data allowance, as its a data connection at the end of the day..

For most people 2G and PSTN is ample..

Not really. VoLTE is not just 'VoIP'. There's a whole infrastructure behind it (=IMS) that is meant to gradually turn mobile networks to 100% IP and weane them off circuit-switched technology, VoLTE is the first step in that process.

I can and have set up VoIP networks that do not suffer from any quality issues or dropped calls - and I'm just a hobbyist (although I also did it for the business I used to work for). If I can do it, billion-pound mobile networks might be able to do it too - and probably even better than I can...

The more obvious reason why VoLTE would result in dropped calls would be if you were moving and came out of 4G coverage. This is of course much more likely to happen with O2 than, say, with EE due to 4G coverage, and this is probably why O2 is not launching VoLTE just yet.

As you say, let's let O2 roll out [proper] 4G data before playing with VoLTE, totally agree on that one.

Message 9 of 9