cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VoLTE on OnePlus 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I been told by your customer service that O2 supports VoLTE and so does the OnePlus 5. If that's the case why do I not have a VoLTE option appear on my phone like other people's on different networks?

Someone else on XDA that works at O2 said that it does not support VoLTE so I'm confused.

As you can see in the screenshot below they have an option and I do not. 

I even tried enabling it manually via phone information menu (advanced) but it just turns back off every time i come off it.

I also come accross this post on XDA Developrts. 

VoLTE does not work by default. Special configurations are needed for each provider. If the VoLTE works for some provider, then it does not guarantee it for other providers.

Please could someone with device, copy+zip+upload files from their Op5. This would help determine which providers have VoLTE configurations available.
Use some advanced file manager, to find files with extension .mbn
These are usually in 
either /system/etc/customization/modem/
or /system/etc/firmware/
or /system/rfs/apq/gnss/readonly/firmware/image/modem_pr/mcfg/configs/mcfg_sw/generic/sea/

Ok, i have managed to get files from phone that was on display in shop with help from finnish friend.
Following special configurations are available, pointing to some providers having VoLTE.

mcfg_sw/generic/apac/reliance/commerci/mcfg_sw.mbn
mcfg_sw/generic/china/cmcc/commerci/volte_op/mcfg_sw.mbn
mcfg_sw/generic/china/ct/commerci/openmkt/mcfg_sw.mbn
mcfg_sw/generic/china/cu/commerci/openmkt/mcfg_sw.mbn
mcfg_sw/generic/eu/ee/commerci/mcfg_sw.mbn
mcfg_sw/generic/eu/h3g/commerci/uk/mcfg_sw.mbn
mcfg_sw/generic/eu/telefoni/volte/uk/mcfg_sw.mbn
mcfg_sw/generic/na/att/volte/mcfg_sw.mbn
mcfg_sw/generic/na/tmo/commerci/mcfg_sw.mbn
mcfg_sw/generic/oem/lab/volte_te/mcfg_sw.mbn
mcfg_sw/generic/oem/oversea/commerci/mcfg_sw.mbn
mcfg_sw/generic/sea/ytl/gen_3gpp/mcfg_sw.mbn
mcfg_sw/generic/common/row/gen_3gpp/mcfg_sw.mbn

As you can see there is an entry saying 

mcfg_sw/generic/eu/telefoni/volte/uk/mcfg_sw.mbn

This one looks like O2 to me by the name "telefoni" which I guess means Telefonica.

So you guys support VoLTE and looks like the phone supports it through O2 too so why do I not have the option? 

but accoring to OnePlus customer service only EE supports it on the OnePlus 5 in the UK. Which I find absoletely ridiclous considering the phone is sold exclusively through O2 but yet O2 doesn't have VoLTE on OP5 but EE does and they don't even sell the phone!!

"OnePlus 5 hardware circuit can totally support for VoLTE, but VoLTE service also needs carrier support. Now only followed carrier could support VoLTE service: 

Completed
VoLTE:
China: CMCC
UK: EE
US: TMO
Inida: RJIO

VoWiFi:
UK: EE
US: TMO 
More and more carrier will support for VoLTE soon."

Sort it out O2

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Simply because o2 do not currently support that handset for VoLTE.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 11

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Keep an eye on the supported devices here
http://www.o2.co.uk/connectivity/wifi-and-4g-calling
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

In my opinion it should have been enabled from the start as that could be a selling point and this phone is exclusive to you guys. Looks like EE beat O2 with VoLTE support on the OnePlus 5 and they don't even sell this phone.

Message 4 of 11

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I'm sure many would agree but it's not something we can influence from here.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 11

jonsie
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 6 of 11

PhoneChanger
Level 30: Meditator
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions
Not sure VoLTE would give them a unique selling point. A number of handsets now support this. O2 choose which are allowed access as do other networks and I'm sure in time this will be open to all. If you look at EE's terms it only works when you buy the phone directly from them...
Message 7 of 11

MercedesS
  • 1192 Posts
  • 17 Topics
  • 18 Solutions

Hello @Anonymous, welcome to the O2 community!

As you know, we send O2 a weekly report of all things posted here on the community. So please if you have any other suggestions, share them here, under "Discussions & Feedback" at any time!

Thanks, @PhoneChanger@jonsie and @MI5 for sharing your thoughts too. Please keep doing it because it is the only the way of improving  heart

Get involved! If a post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution”.If you are new to the community, please read How to use the community
Message 8 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

@PhoneChanger wrote:
Not sure VoLTE would give them a unique selling point. A number of handsets now support this. O2 choose which are allowed access as do other networks and I'm sure in time this will be open to all. If you look at EE's terms it only works when you buy the phone directly from them...

That's not necessarily true, as some handsets are compatible, even if you didn't buy them directly from EE:

http://ee.co.uk/help/phones-and-device/4g-calling

If you scroll down, there is a section which explains who can get 4G calling.

Message 9 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well 6 months later I have upgraded to the OnePlus 5T through O2 and still no  VoLTE support from O2 dissapointed.

Message 10 of 11