cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin to O2 Migration - Why are 02 trying to pressurise customers into changing tariffs

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was under the impression from Virgin that as a rolling Sim customer, the only increase would be an annual RPI increase if I continued on the same agreement. However I have received a misleading text message from 02 indicating this is to change. I have contacted 02 customer team via 202, to be told that the migration only lasts for a year and that they wouldn't make any money if customers stayed on the same tariffs and consequently tried to persuade me to move to another tariff. Hopefully, this has been recorded for monitoring and training purposes as evidence, I was then transferred to another department to get my PUK code.  Fortunately on going through this with them, they informed me that this was not the case and as long as I continue with this agreement the discount for migration will continue to be applied indefinitely. I have trawled through Virgin and 02 literature and can find nothing on this, also unhelpfully the migration seems to show different information regarding the two numbers on the same account which migrated with different benefits despite being both being rolling sim agreements with similar tariffs! 

I suspect that there is a mandate by 02 to get their representatives to move ex Virgin customers onto their much more expensive alternative 'deals'. 

After 30 years as a Virgin customer and receiving no unsolicited calls or texts during that time, almost immediately on transfer to 02 I have consistently been bombarded with fraudulent texts and telephone calls - why? 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 124175 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7513 Solutions

@Anonymous 

We're just customers like you but it sounds as if you need someone to access your account which can't be done from the forum.

You need  to contact O2.

If you message O2 on Facebook ( https://o2uk.co/O2CFB) , Twitter ( https://o2uk.co/O2CTW) or Instagram ( https://o2uk.co/O2CIG) , they should be able to help. Or call them on 202 or 0344 809 0202 (contract)

4445 or 0344 809 0222 (PAYG)

Guide: How to find help & contact O2 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't need someone to access my account, just have knowledge regarding mobile phone contract agreements/law regarding rolling mobile sim agreements, especially with regards to the Virgin migration to 02.

Message 3 of 9

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 10613 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 3094 Solutions

@Anonymous 

Everyone on here is a customer like you, so no need to get sarkey. If you want legal advice then speak to to Solicitor or Citizens Advice.

They can if they give you notice change your terms and conditions and also the cost, this is legal and all above aboard.

The text message you probably recieved is saying how much your tariff would be if they didnt include any discounts it even says this on most of the comms that have been sent out about this.

And a lot of the CS agents who work for o2 are the same one that work for Virgin and use there disgraceful sales tactics

There is a simple answer if you are out of contract, then cancel and move to another network... You get no benefits for been loyal just like with car insurance... 

The calls you got after the migration, is down to a publicly announced migration and scammers getting a spreadsheet and calling from 000001 to 999999 and seeing how many guilibile people give away there personal data on a cold call... (all dialing codes owned by VM are on a publicly available spreadsheet provided by OfCom)

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 4 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for taking the trouble to answer in part my initial post, as I am sure you are all very busy people. I am not being 'snarky' but direct, I thought this was the suitable forum to ask my questions, just as I am not taking your obvious advice as in any way patronising. The information regarding the publication of a spreadsheet answers why the sudden scamming, thank you. To describe potential victims of scammers as gullible is disingenuous, as not everyone is tech savvy and as we get older scientifically proven to be more believing of people, which makes the publishing of peoples details negligent and harmful. Regarding network, unfortunately living in a fairly sparse part of Britain means that 02 coverage is the best for me otherwise I would gladly look elsewhere! 

Message 5 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for all the various contact details for 02.

Message 6 of 9

Oxonian
Level 31: Resolver
  • 7456 Posts
  • 141 Topics
  • 25 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you for taking the trouble to answer in part my initial post, as I am sure you are all very busy people. I am not being 'snarky' but direct, I thought this was the suitable forum to ask my questions, just as I am not taking your obvious advice as in any way patronising. The information regarding the publication of a spreadsheet answers why the sudden scamming, thank you. To describe potential victims of scammers as gullible is disingenuous, as not everyone is tech savvy and as we get older scientifically proven to be more believing of people, which makes the publishing of peoples details negligent and harmful. Regarding network, unfortunately living in a fairly sparse part of Britain means that 02 coverage is the best for me otherwise I would gladly look elsewhere! 

@Anonymous 

You state :-

".....which makes the publishing of peoples details negligent and harmful".

As @madasaf1sh has already noted, that is nothing to do with O2 and is an Ofcom decision and publication. 

The Office of Communications, commonly known as Ofcom, is the government-approved regulatory and competition authority for the broadcasting, telecommunications and postal industries of the United Kingdom.

Hence, if you have serious concerns, it is a matter to take-up with your MP. 👍

Message 7 of 9

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 10613 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 3094 Solutions

They dont publish anyones number they make available as they are legally required to do the Nation Numbering plans for the UK

Which means every Area Code in the country, is publish with out any numbers.. they publish the details of who owns the number range so doesnt take 2+2 to make 4 and get every number in that range.. 

But yeah complain to your MP,  but this is permissible under ICO rules.. as there is no personal data involved... Its not like the old BT Phone book...

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 8 of 9

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 37211 Posts
  • 238 Topics
  • 1697 Solutions
Message 9 of 9