cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very disgruntled about the 3g,4g service abroad

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello all

I have just returned from holiday in tenerife. I must say im furious about the non exsistant service in that european country. I was tied to using a provider named Movistar. 5 days I tried conecting to the internet with this provider to no avail. the service is woefully slow, almost dial up speed. I tried registering with another provider, orange, vodaphone es etc, only to be told its not possible. My wife who is on EE had a perfect 4g service the entire time. Now call me grumpy but, we are in the 21st century, in Europe with a company run by telefonica, a Spanish company. So why was I tied to movistar with that hopless service. so much so that to get online, I had to pay 30 euros to use WIFI at the hotel and Airport. Now only to find on my return 02 has charged me for this hopeless service. I have been with 02 for many years, but I will tell you now. I will be terminating my contract when it runs out. I will be moving to a provider than can provide 3g and 4g service abroud

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24

Perfidium
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
My Location is also in a town less than 50 miles from London and only 2 miles from M40 with no 3G or 4G and very poor 2G on O2
EE is also the strongest here too so as you say a switch is due unless there is a big change
Message 21 of 25

Cleoriff
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@Perfidium wrote:
My Location is also in a town less than 50 miles from London and only 2 miles from M40 with no 3G or 4G and very poor 2G on O2
EE is also the strongest here too so as you say a switch is due unless there is a big change

I would think this is your best plan @Perfidium :smileysad:.... Info here (should you need it) on cancelling your contract

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Cancelling-Your-Contract-A-Guide/m-p/566774/hig...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 22 of 25

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144183 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Why would you stay with the same network for so long especially if you know there is a better alternative?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 23 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks @darrengf
That explains why my EE connects to HT HR in Croatia at 4G while my wife's O2 iPhone connects at a throttled 3G.
Message 24 of 25

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

@Anonymous Your more than welcome. 

O2 speeds overseas get them lots of complaints, not just on here but on Twitter too.  Loads of complaints daily that the service is unuseable, data doesn't work.  All you ever get back from the people on twitter is does SMS and calls work,  if they do then we can't be responsible for data speeds I'm afraid.  

All ive ever wanted is o2 to come clean properly.  O2 clearly have throttled data abroad beyond to not working.

Even Vodafone own website clearly shows and sort of has a laugh at o2 own expense. O2 clearly have no 4G networks overseas at all.

o2 claim to throttle data at 150mb,  I can tell you and with loads of complaints it's throttled as soon as you activate o2 travel on that day. I've never got above 0.35Mbps which is dial up speed,  not even 3G as Tescos sim on same network, same time, similar phone his 7.9'Mbps download. No throttling at all.

o2 jus say we're not responsible for data speeds and from reading everything they never claim any where what you get. So it's basically tough luck. Shame really as this is the only thing that lets o2 down big time.  Is roaming. They don't allow you to take plan with you, charge for things that don't work and just blame the foreign network.  Let's see what Mid June 2017 brings when all roaming ends.  See what new excuse o2 comes up with.

oh and o2 own terms as follows.

Roaming abroad O2 Travel customers who exceed 50Mb per day will experience limited throughput for web browsing, e-mail, social networking, video and VPN services, which may slow these services down. O2 Travel customers’ who use Peer to Peer, file transfer, network storage or gaming applications or services whilst roaming abroad, will slow these services down.  

Another words good luck!

below is taken from Vodafone website

http://www.vodafone.co.uk/explore/costs/travelling-abroad/global-roaming/index.htm

Data taken from competitor websites on 12 April 2017

IMG_0248.PNG

Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 25 of 25