cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking my Iphone 6S

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi guys,

Basically I bought an Iphone 6S from a UK store(not an O2 one) and I am using an O2 Pay and Go SIM card. Will I still need to wait 12 months to unlock it? 

Message 1 of 13
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122931 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous. Unless you bought it directly from Apple (who sell all their phones unlocked) it will be April at least before you can get it unlocked. 

Edit: Just realised this is PAYG so it will be 12months...

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-SIM-card/td-p/540294

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Cleoriff
  • 122931 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous. Unless you bought it directly from Apple (who sell all their phones unlocked) it will be April at least before you can get it unlocked. 

Edit: Just realised this is PAYG so it will be 12months...

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-SIM-card/td-p/540294

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Cleoriff,

oh I was hoping I could get it done earlier. How much time do I need to wait as I bought my iphone in October? 

Thanks for your reply! 

Message 3 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 122931 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

As far as we are all aware O2 don't release the unlocking codes for any new model iPhone for 6 months (and this is contract). As you are payg you will also have to pay £15 to get it unlocked. Sorry it's not what you want to hear 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 122931 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

Have a look at this guide here.. specific to iPhones (and I note it does say 12months for PAYG)

http://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-and-devices/unlocking-your-iphone-and-using-it-on-another-network

You may be better changing to a cheap O2 sim only contract if you want to unlock this phone sooner

https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/simplicity/#/tariffs

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 13

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
If it not on contract, wont apple unlock directly? Local phone shop might be able to unlock also, but this might void the warranty so would advise caution
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 6 of 13

jonsie
  • 93240 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions
Message 7 of 13

MI5
  • 144376 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27677 Solutions
First off, where exactly did you buy it?
I am gonna assume CPW, if so you paid full price for the phone, therefore, it is paid for, so you can request the unlock using the form in my guide linked to above. You will need £15 credit to pay for it and you do not need to wait 12 months, 6 months or whatever.
The O2 rule is that phones must be paid for fully or else wait for them to decide to unlock.
They may well reject the form first time as the system will just flag an "iPhone - can't unlock yet" so if that happens give CS a call on 4445 and explain to them where you purchased it, full price and all paid for etc.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 122931 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

So many variables with this. Sadly the OP didn't indicate that they bought it outright so I gave every other bit of info available.... bar that one...:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 13

MI5
  • 144376 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27677 Solutions
By default, a PAYG phone bought anywhere, would have been paid for in full, wouldn't it ?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 10 of 13