cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to deliver emails to O2 customer email addresses

Anonymous
Not applicable

We cannot deliver emails to any of our customers who have an @Anonymous.co.uk email address and we getting complaints as a result.

The bounce back message is:

"failed","status":"4.4.7","diagnosticCode":"smtp; 554 4.4.7 Message expired: unable to deliver in 840 minutes.<421 mail.o2.co.uk Service not available - too busy>"}]

We use Amazon SES to send our emails. We comply with all authentication protocols, and follow good practices to deliver email successfully.  We have no problems with any other email providers.

The emails we are sending are simple 'Thank you for your purchase' receipt messages to customers who have ordered from us.

Can someone advise us on what we need to do or who we need to speak to in order to get our email receipts delivered to our customers?

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

PhoneChanger
Level 30: Meditator
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions
O2 have closed their webmail service. It was announced back at the start of this year and was completely closed in September.

Anyone who had an O2 email address will no longer have access to this and any mails will be lost.
Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

PhoneChanger
Level 30: Meditator
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions
O2 have closed their webmail service. It was announced back at the start of this year and was completely closed in September.

Anyone who had an O2 email address will no longer have access to this and any mails will be lost.
Message 2 of 7

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10171 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3012 Solutions
As @PhoneChanger has said o2 closed their o2 conusmer email service earlier this year.

A basic test of connecting to mail.o2.net via Telnet, which you email admin should have done. shows that o2 are dropping all connections to this domain.

If people have given you @Anonymous.co.uk email addresses recently then they are doing it to avoid being spammed.

You will need to get alternative email addresses from your customers, or get your IT team to set the o2.co.uk as a banned / not allowed email address in your systems.

There is nothing for o2 to do for you.
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 3 of 7

Cleoriff
  • 122923 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Actually the closure started in 2013 when the migration to Sky occurred People who continued with Sky Broadband could still access the O2 email servers. However the  final 'final' shutdown was announced earlier this year as stated....We understood all remaining customers were informed. Though from posts on the forum, it's obvious a lot of customers had no idea of the closure

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 7

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23071 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

@Anonymous  I am tagging you in this thread in case you haven't seen the above replies. O2 email has ceased, and has been gradually winding down for years. If you have phone numbers for your customers, I would suggest that you call them. There are many who are completely unaware that their O2 addresses no longer function, even though ample warnings were given about the closure.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 7

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

I think just about everyone now has been disconnected from webmail though as you say infrequent users possibly still aren't aware.

Message 6 of 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144336 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Looks like the last of the addresses were switched off last week.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 7