Did you mean: 

Tips to keep your device in good health

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi everyone, 

Last year, we posted some ideas on how to Spring clean your smartphone, and got a lot of additional useful info from your own experiences in the discussion. We'd now like to talk, more broadly, about how to keep your device in good health!

The top tips O2 Gurus shared in the video above are:

• Make sure your phone can bounce back after bumps and thumps with a case and screen protector.
  • Avoid moisture indoors and out, because warranties don't cover water damage, keep your phone dry💧
  • Fix bugs and help keep your phone secure, by installing updates as soon as they land.
  • Back up regularly: don't lose priceless pics, must-keep messages and your special numbers.
  • Phones and batteries don't like it too hot, or too chilly: avoid extreme temperatures ❄️🔥
  • Always use quality chargers, the one that came with your phone is best.
  • Everyone needs a break every now and then: a weekly restart will refresh your phone settings and memory.
  • We all need a little room to breathe slight_smile Keeping storage free helps your phone perform better.
  • Battery apps may sound great, but installing them can slow your phone down - don't use them. 
  • Still need help? Make an appointment with one of our gurus at your local O2 Store!

Are they any other tips you guys can think of to keep a device in good health?

Let us know in the comments!

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 35
34 REPLIES 34

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@EmilieT 

Can't think of anything else, although the one about quality chargers is a bit contradictory.

As far as I am aware O2 don't include chargers with their phones?

I was pleased about Tip 1. I recently dropped my Note 8 from the top of the  stairs to the bottom, landing on a wooden floor at the bottom. Picked it up fearing the worst. It was perfect, due in no small part to my case. So I was very pleased about that.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 35

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@Cleoriff Sorry if the point about the charger came across misleading - I believe the point there is more around cheap or "knock-off" chargers, and the recommendation it to use approved ones, either directly from the manufacturer or companies like Belkin slight_smile 

What a relief to hear your phone survived a drop down the stairs without a scratch! I had to learn my lesson the hard way, as I tripped and dropped my last unprotected phone just outside my door and my screen became unusable ...

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!

signature

Message 3 of 35

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @EmilieT 

Totally agree with the advice about using the correct chargers.

I have seen the results of cheap uncertified charging devices causing fires and explosions. 

Far too many people admitted to Accident and Emergency depts with severe burns and other life changing injuries.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 35

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11992 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions

@EmilieT wrote:
  • Always use quality chargers, the one that came with your phone is best.

No, seems fairly clear to me that it means the charger your phone is supplied with...

I understand the desire to want to reduce waste by removing something that consumers already have - but this is not always the case.

My old chargers (that came with handsets) put out around 1A.

The one that came with the v30 is higher than that (I think 2.4A but not sure).

This means that if your phone has a quick charge facility, unless you get a better charger it won't work. While for some this is not a problem, if the phone is meant to come with one it is a little naughty to simply remove it - even more so when the same charger is actually sold be the company taking it out of the box!

Why not have an exchange scheme: if you want the shiny new the phone should have, trade in your old one?

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 5 of 35

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Some very good tips there. The first thing I need to do is to always get a full phone cover to protect it. I have a habit of dropping the phone or allowing it to slide off my knee. 

In 20 years I've never had a damaged screen despite holding my breath every time I have picked it up off the floor (touch wood). 

What I find hypocritical is the recommendation to always use the supplied charged. This is so vital, however, having recently acquired a new phone I was horrified to find that despite being advertised on the O2 website as having a charger, the charger had been removed by O2 to 'protect' the planet.

No protection from fire for the user however when there was an obvious space in the box for a charger. I would like to know how O2 seal the box with a factory seal having removed the charger???

Message 6 of 35

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

JAZZ-trad
Level 13: Prompter
  • 890 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
What do o2 do with the removed charger? If there is one in the box from the manufacturer.
Are o2 selling these separately 🤔🤔🤔🤔beggars belief. Unreal. Taking planet safety to a new level. Sad.
Message 8 of 35

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@gmarkj That's a great suggestion, one I can definitely pass on! 

@jonsie @JAZZ-trad Good feedback guys, thanks for taking the time to share - I'll see what I can find around the seals and chargers for you, and will let you know here if I can get more info on those points slight_smile In the meantime, was there anything else not covered in this list of tips that you think would be a good tip for a healthy device?

signature

Message 10 of 35