cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tips to avoid unexpected charges on your bill.

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122828 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Hi All.

I'm looking for a collaboration on this topic.wink

@Marjo  noticed a thread HERE  and she suggested the Forum might benefit from a guide on ways to limit expenditure which hopefully will avoid unexpected charges on your bill.

I thought I would start with a few and look forward to anyone adding and discussing other ways/methods.

* Spend Caps. (only applicable if you have taken out a contract since Oct 1st) Link Here: Spend Cap

* Other Numbers and Charges. Link Here: Other Numbers And Charges

Going over your monthly allowances for of texts and minutes is the most common reason for a high bill

Making calls, sending texts or using data outside of our Europe Zone

Using your phone to make a purchase, such as buying wifi on train

Making calls to non-geographical or premium rate phone number

Calling a directory enquiry service.

Sending texts to premium rate services, such as voting in a TV competition

(You can contact customer services and ask them to place a Premium Bar on your account. This will stop calls to premium rate numbers, 090, 070 etc).

* Sending SMS which convert to MMS. (Link Here)   Avoid sending MMS

An emoticon/emoji is a smiley face, a thumbs up a heart or any other tiny picture that many people like to add to their SMS messages.

THESE ARE THE BIGGEST SINGLE SOURCE OF ACCIDENTAL MMS SENDING.

Adding an emoticon by itself won’t, in many cases, force the message into MMS format, but, what it will do, is eat up your character count.

A simple smiley face or wink will use 90 characters.

With this in mind it is easy to see how just by adding 3 emoticons actually reduces your character count to only 210 letters (that’s not much!)

You can avoid this by inserting a smiley using keyboard characters rather than hitting the emoticon key and choosing a picture. A smile can be written as : ) or a wink as ; ) 

* Restrict use of Charge to Mobile   Link Here: Charge To Mobile

You can contact customer services and ask them to Bar all Direct to Bill Debits on your account.

(only problem with this, you will need to contact them again to lift the bar, if you wish to purchase anything)

* Don't click on any links on FB etc.

You could find yourself directed to a Payforit scam where you will be charged monthly for services you neither want or need.  More info here: Premium Rate Scams

* Use Wifi instead of Mobile Data (where possible)

* Use Free Apps instead of those you purchase.

That's all I can think of now. If anyone else can add anything, then feel free to do so. This is a 'document in progress'

Thanks also to @MI5 and @adamtemp64 for use of your work re MMS and Premium rate numbers

Look forward to hearing of other ways to limit spending, or avoiding unexpected charges.wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24

Cleoriff
  • 122828 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

I agree @jonsie. The more I think of it ....the more it becomes never ending.

That was never the plan, so I will stop overthinking it now (and go for a siesta) sleepingLOL

It's also important to note that @Marjo has to cast her eyes over it... before anything is finalised)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 25

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Looking good @Cleoriff. Just two points which should be added when mentioning Whatsapp, if you want to send a message to include emoticons, photos, video etc it's free and that the recipient must also have Whatsapp on their phone. Other than that I think you've got it covered 👍

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 12 of 25

Cleoriff
  • 122828 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Thanks @Glory1

The same can be said for Messenger, which is something I use a lot over WiFi.thumbsup

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 13 of 25

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35800 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1584 Solutions

Great idea, this one, @Cleoriff

Another one that catches people out: the month that you upgrade, the partial cost of old tariff and then the new one can result in a higher-than-normal first bill. 

It does settle down from month 2 onwards, though. 

Message 14 of 25

pgn
  • 35800 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1584 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Hi All.

* Spend Caps. (only applicable if you have taken out a contract since Oct 1st) Link Here: Spend Cap

The Spend Cap link is broken, as it is also in @MI5's original, @Cleoriff.

This link works tho:

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/account-and-billing/spend-cap

Message 15 of 25

Cleoriff
  • 122828 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@pgn wrote:

@Cleoriff wrote:

Hi All.

The Spend Cap link is broken, as it is also in @MI5's original, @Cleoriff.

This link works tho:

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/account-and-billing/spend-cap

Yes just noticed that @pgn. It did work this morning when I used it.

So will try the full link https://www.o2.co.uk/business/support/billing/spend-cap and then will shorten it

Spend caps and try again.

Edit :and they both work again...Confused

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 16 of 25

Cleoriff
  • 122828 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@pgn wrote:

Great idea, this one, @Cleoriff

Another one that catches people out: the month that you upgrade, the partial cost of old tariff and then the new one can result in a higher-than-normal first bill. 

It does settle down from month 2 onwards, though. 

Yes another good one @pgn (though not sure anyone could avoid that happening?) thumbsup

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 17 of 25

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Thanks @Glory1

The same can be said for Messenger, which is something I use a lot over WiFi.thumbsup

Agreed @Cleoriff. Personally, I no longer use SMS for any messages. But, of course, not everyone has a smartphone, some people still cling to their old mobiles.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 18 of 25

Cleoriff
  • 122828 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

I just want to say thank you to everyone who has contributed to the thread or just generally supported it.

I tend to feel anything like this works better with a collaborative input from fellow members. wink

Feel free to add anything else you may feel useful today. Marjo will be checking it tomorrow and I will make any amendments she feels necessary. Then we should be good to go. Hero

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 19 of 25

pgn
  • 35800 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1584 Solutions

Oh, and the dreaded RPI deserves a mention - not much, but it can nudge you up in April and each month after that, noticeably if you are on a top-end tariff, @Cleoriff.

No page of its own, but covered here:

https://www.o2.co.uk/prices

Message 20 of 25