• 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions
Message 2 of 10

PhoneChanger
Level 30: Meditator
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions
Yeah won't be long before they all do it. I can see it now, "BT abolish line rental. Broadband charges increase by £20pm"

None of the suppliers will want to abolish line rental as it is a cash cow that people don't want but need to have if they don't live in a cabled area. They will just add the costs into other services
Message 3 of 10

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions
Well of course......you can't get something for nothing.

But when broadband "special offers" are advertised we will now see a true all inclusive figure.

I would also hope that there is a reduced option (without call package) for those who don't wish to use the phone line for voice calls.
"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 4 of 10

jonsie
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

In these days of unlimited calls and texts I think it's only the older generation who use a landlines. Here I can get home wifi for a tenner a month with the option to pay more for a landlines. Not many people here take up that option. Choice should be mandatory in the UK nut as said, it's compulsory and a big earner for providers.

Message 5 of 10

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Says it all really....I love the way the word 'remove' is in inverted commas....Rolleys

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 10

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions

And there I was actually quite excited, until I read the article lol.

It's not surprising, BB suppliers aren't gonna give up that particular cash cow easily! Now they just need to drive prices down (yeah I know, no chance)!

Message 7 of 10

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

In these days of unlimited calls and texts I think it's only the older generation who use a landlines. Here I can get home wifi for a tenner a month with the option to pay more for a landlines. Not many people here take up that option. Choice should be mandatory in the UK nut as said, it's compulsory and a big earner for providers.

Unless you happen to be between two masts and no consistent signal till they upgrade them. Can't do without the landline when you work from home. 

Message 8 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

It will be a long time before I get rid of our landline. I am with the same company for Broadband and pay only a little extra for the phone. I just prefer to have two options for calling in case of mobile network failure

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 10

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
Mine could go tomorrow and I wouldn't miss it.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 10 of 10