Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text scam?

RJ29
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi, I received a text from someone I thought was O2, I didn’t realise at the time that it was a potential scam, on my notifications it came through as O2:UK so thought it was real, looked at my messages and this was the body of the text:

This is O2. We've noticed you're late paying another monthly Device Plan instalment of £39.12 (account number 1039118208). Before we turn off your calls and data, and add the £3.50 fee (as previously mentioned), we're giving you the opportunity to pay and stop this from happening. Pay securely using the following link https://spp.o2.co.uk/p/ZD9OVMNV or call us free on 08001116121. If you are struggling to meet your ongoing monthly payment please talk to us on 202. If you have already paid this amount today please ignore this message.

Now I thought this text was legitimate for multiple reasons, the first being it knows about a conversation I’ve had with O2 recently and the second being it knows the exact unpaid balance, I didn’t think at the time I read it to check the account number or anything so I paid the sum through the link provided, it was only afterwards that I realised it was a potential scam, I realised that where it says the texters name it just said UK and when I went to look at the number it had come from, there was no number, I thought that was odd, I then went and checked the account number and found it wasn’t mine, I then did my checks on the number in the text and found it was a legit number but was being used by scammers, as a result I went to check my bank and noticed the transaction said O2UK Ltd when it normally just says O2 for a transaction, it was for the amount described, either way I reported my card lost and also put a lock on it to stop further transactions and hopefully the one that is still pending, I’m incredibly embarrassed by this situation and urge anyone who gets something like this to do their checks before making a payment like I foolishly did. This is either a legit paying method or it’s a scam, I honestly don’t know.
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@RJ29  Please see this link: https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Have-you-fallen-for-or-been-conned-into-a-premium-rate-s...

Edit: You should also speak to customer service in the morning. https://www.o2.co.uk/contactus Call. Don't use Live Chat.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 15

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

The fact that they knew of a previous conversation is worrying unless indeed it was legitimate.

Our advice as always is to call 202 (after all it's free) and never click on a link in a text message. you have a couple of days to then see if it is O2 but personally I would now call them to find out for sure. Between 8 and 8.30 is the best time to call.

Message 3 of 15

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
To be fair, apart from an incorrect account number, I'd say that was legit.
I'll ask @EmilieT to check it out but from memory, the link is O2 payments.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 15

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Also, your device plan account number will be different to your O2 account number.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 15

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Thanks @Bambino@jonsie and @MI5 for the advice!

@RJ29 I'll check what I can find around this on my end and will let you know as soon as I have more information slight_smile Have you had a chance to talk to customer service after getting this text?

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 6 of 15

Cleoriff
  • 122351 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@EmilieT  Certainly the number 0800 111 6121 is legitimate as shown here on this thread

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly/Phone-call-from-0800-111-6121-O2-or-a-phisher/td-p/708285.

However it has caused concern on numerous occasions. Check out this google search....

Who called me.PNG

So you can understand why people are concerned when we are open to so many scams worried

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 15

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I've inspected the link and it is valid.
It's a genuine O2 secure portal with a valid certificate.
This was genuine and not a scam text.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 15

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@RJ29  If the text is legitimate, which it appears to be, I would suggest that you set up a Direct Debit to avoid further texts and threats of disconnection. If you're having trouble paying, you need to speak to customer service for payment management assistance.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 9 of 15

Bethany
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I have had this same text and obviously paid through the link but my services are still off. Anyone help please?
Message 10 of 15