Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible 4G Coverage

MrMojoRisin27
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

The 4G coverage with O2 is awful. The coverage checker is absolute nonsense! Every time I visit Cheshire Oaks I basically might as well leave my phone at home despite the coverage checker showing the service is 'GOOD' for the area. For me Cheshire Oaks is like North Korea, whenever I'm there I'm cut-off from the rest of the world! I hear EE is the network to move to so that's exactly what I'm doing when my contract is up - just the 10 more months of hell!!! 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35788 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1584 Solutions

Moving your number to another network is really easy these days, @MrMojoRisin27 

While you wait until your contract end date arrives, if you have good WiFi in your house, and your phone is capable, have you considered using VoWiFi, using your WiFi and broadband connection for calls to and from your mobile?

https://www.o2.co.uk/connectivity/wifi-and-4g-calling

Message 2 of 8

MrMojoRisin27
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for your message, I'll give that a try although my main issue is with not being able to access Apps and Internet whilst out not so much the calls. Thanks

Message 3 of 8

pgn
  • 35788 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1584 Solutions

The only thing I can point you to there is the Network Status tool/checker, which I think you already have used (do keep logging your result back to O2 when you get a chance, @MrMojoRisin27 -- more reports do help).

Guide: How can I sort out my network issues? 

Message 4 of 8

Bazza28
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

All the network checkers are useless they just tell if you if you're near a mast. The real problem is oversubscribing or throttling. I was at Cheshire Oaks few weeks ago. Signal was fine, calling was fine but couldn't get any internet. Had to use a Hotspot on a bt phone to get Google maps to go home! It was fine on the way there. 

Message 5 of 8

pgn
  • 35788 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1584 Solutions

There is a setting on your phone that steps it down to 3G - perfect for download in such circumstances - I had that for several months until O2 upgraded their infra locally to handle the number of 4G phones in the area, @Bazza28 - gets you on the road, and the MyNetwork app tells O2 the problem exists. Worth a try.

Message 6 of 8

Bazza28
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've toggled the 4G switch, no difference. I tried manually changing apn, seemed faster but still little or no internet where I want them most. Ironically it's fine at my house, which I don't need. 

Message 7 of 8

pgn
  • 35788 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1584 Solutions

Yep, it's a pain when that happens - some more general items here to check?

Why Is Your Mobile Data So Slow? How to Speed It Up in 10 Steps https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/speed-up-slow-mobile-data/

Message 8 of 8