Did you mean: 

Suspected Fraud - unwanted phone upgrade

MMuir1234
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I just wanted to flag this suspected fraud which happened to me last week:

I am an O2 customer and this week was contacted by O2 to say that my phone and contract were being upgraded even though I had not requested this. An unordered brand new iPhone 10 xs max and a sim contract with a total cost of around £1500 arrived the next day.
I phoned O2 to tell them that it had arrived without having been ordered which they did not understand as the email order verification process had been completed. They were very helpful and were able to organise the return of the phone. 

Here is where the apparent mistake becomes a suspected fraud:

After arranging the return with O2 I received another phone call from the O2 customer service number. However, I suspected, and afterwards confirmed, that the phone call was not genuinely from O2 (I had recognised this as they didn't go through the usual security questions etc... and didn't sound genuine). The caller told me that there had been a fraudulent order made on the account and a phone had been sent and they would send a van the next day to pick it up. I questioned them (having already arranged the return of the phone) and it became clear they were not genuinely from O2 and had the wrong address etc. When I questioned them further the caller hung up. I then called back O2 and confirmed that the call I'd just received was not genuinely from O2. It must have been a fraudster using the genuine O2 number.

They somehow managed to order a very expensive phone to my account and were going to organise a courier to come and collect it and deliver it to the fraudsters, leaving me to explain to O2 that the expensive phone had gone missing and landing O2 or myself with an unpaid bill for £1500. Lucky I phoned the genuine O2 number before the fraudsters called me!
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143416 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
The scammers are getting more and more sneaky these days.
Well done for spotting it.
I assist our have changed all your passwords and security questions now too?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MMuir1234

That's damn worrying actually.

Good that you spotted it, though it would have me checking my bank accounts thoroughly to see if they had been compromised.

I think our community managers should be made aware of this @Marjo @Martin-O2 @EmilieT

All should take note of advice in this thread about fraud

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/safety-and-security/fraud-and-phishing-advice

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 10

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10660 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Hello @MMuir1234

Thanks very much for taking the time to share that terrible experience with us.

That is one big nightmare.

Good @Cleoriff for sending that on to our Community Managers.

I hope we can find some answers here, in due course, so that we can all

be on guard (as usual!!) 

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 4 of 10

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22941 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@MMuir1234 If you still have the phone number of the suspected fraudster you should report it here: https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 10

dgilbert2
Level 13: Prompter
  • 936 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 6 Solutions

@MMuir1234 OMG, but what credit to you for not getting sucked in. Well done and thanks for sharing!

What is the world coming to frowning2

Message 6 of 10

jonsie
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

This really is taking fraud to the next level. It would be difficult to change the address on the order as a text needs to be sent to your phone with a code to enter into the website. I'm guessing the 'courier' sent to collect the phone would have been his mate Jimmy Vanman and the calls you received withheld or from a free phone down the local job centre. All very worrying that they now have all your details.

Message 7 of 10

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi @MMuir1234, and thanks for sharing this with us! I sent you a Private Message on the forum as we'd like a few more details to feed this back so it can be looked into more closely slight_smile

Cheers @Cleoriff for the mention, and everyone else for the advice and support! hugging

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 8 of 10

MMuir1234
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

The phone call I received came from the genuine O2 customer service contact number: 0344 809 0202

They must have somehow managed to emulate this number so as to be convincing.

Message 9 of 10

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Thanks for the additonal info @MMuir1234! I've passed it on along with the previous details you shared, thanks again for letting us know about this slight_smile

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 10 of 10