cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Support from O2 around Galaxy watches is terrible.

Sonic5317
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Purchased a Galaxy watch 4 classic 4G on release from O2 directly. But the plan being sold is only a data SIM to remotely connect to the phone. The watch is capable of making and receiving phone calls on its own without linking to a phone in anyway. So I had the contract cancelled and purchased a watch directly from Samsung, still interested in using the 4G I took out a SIM with minutes and texts as well as a 5GB data allowance for £3 extra a month. Everything worked, except for making calls directly from the watch which gave the message "Only emergency calls can be made." Disappointed, I had the SIM cancelled. I started to doubt the watch was capable of being a standalone device until Samsung confirmed it but said I'd have to use another network.

Today the wearable app was updated and Samsung have now blocked O2 customers from scanning eSIMs (which are still being sold)

Screenshot_20211023-195735_Galaxy Watch4 Plugin.jpg

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10143 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3004 Solutions

The watch is designed to work both ways depending on the setup of the network infrastructure...

BT(EE) do it one way, Vodafone do it another, and o2 another way.... Sounds like Samsung throwing its toys out of the pram and not actually helping the customer, and Samsung probably haven't told any of the global networks about this, who use this method... 

Its Oppo (OnePlus) all over again......

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 11

robmak73
  • 15 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yes I feel for you. I in the exact same situation and the lack of knowledge with a product being sold by o2 is amazing. Now over a month ago I received the watch. Still can't make calls. I been to a o2 shop. Got fed up of trying to convince the assistant that the watch should be able to make calls. They were no help at all. I am now on a replacement watch and it does the exact same as the one before. How long will this go on until o2 take notice and train there staff on how to set up the watch for customers to use 

Message 3 of 11

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10143 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3004 Solutions

@robmak73 

Like everything else in life you can teach people until you are blue in the face... Maybe if o2 didn't pay rubbish wages they would get people who want to learn, but the amount of abuse staff take in retail and customer services means you they take what they can get.. 

When I got mine from Huddersfield (the previous generation) they set it up and I walked out working, so it could just be that franchisee's store (as not all o2 stores are o2 owned)..

To be honest they should make it all self service

Did you follow these excellent instructions from @MI5 ??

Samsung watch setup.
1. Contact O2 and get them to set up Data and WIFI calling on your Samsung mobile, it's free but needs to be set up to use the watch. You can then turn the switch on in setting under connections.

2. If you need an esim the only place to get it now is at an O2 store, it's free at the store.

3. If you already have an esim you won't be able to set up your watch just by going through the process on the Gear app, it'll set up the plan in principle on the phone and watch, but it won't connect to the network so don't waste your time. Delete the plan and go to an O2 store.

4. The only way you'll get the watch connected is by going to the O2 store, sitting with the sales person and have them set up the esim and the plan, it's £5 per month for 1gb which is more than enough data.

5. Most store sales people haven't a clue about setting up the Samsung watch 4g, so have them give you the esim, scan the QR code let your phone set up the plan and then have them go into their system as if your purchasing the watch directly from O2, at the bottom of their screen (this is at an O2 store) there is a box that says set up watch plan, when they press that, it'll allow them to set up a watch data plan, as if you've purchased the watch from O2.

6. At that point and after the salesperson puts in all the info from the esim they gave you into their system, it'll take about 10 min for the watch to connect, you'll then need to go into the connection settings on your watch, turn on auto for data, turn on data roaming and then go to the network search setting on the watch and let it the watch search for the network, it'll then register it and you're almost there.

7. Next go to your mobile and in settings, advanced, turn on the switch to use your mobile data on other devices, make sure when you turn it on, it shows your Samsung watch at the bottom, tap and another screen comes up showing the watch is connected to your phone.

8. Then reboot your watch and your mobile and you're done. Test it by leaving your phone in your home and take a walk, the watch should connect and show the 4g symbol and the mobile calling bars, if you try and make a call and it doesn't work or says connect to Bluetooth, go back to step 7, and reboot the phone to make sure it's found the device, i.e. your watch. It will also say at the bottom of the watch, standalone, means your using the watch on it's own.

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 4 of 11

JoeC
  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I'm having the same issue. Spoken to 12 different people at O2 and been in to the store. Some of the customer service staff have no clue what to do and just pass me on. Others have done a Google search and found the advice on these forums but still no joy. One person thought I needed a SIM swap, which ended up killing my phone sim for 24 hours. It's so bad. 

Message 5 of 11

Sonic5317
  • 4 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I gave up in the end, would have been nice to make calls on the watch if my phone died or lost signal for whatever reason. £5/mo for 1GB just to connect to my phone is ludicrous especially considering 99% of the time I'll be in Bluetooth range anyway which is how I've ended up using the watch.

Message 6 of 11

JoeC
  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@robmak73 thank you, it finally works!

Message 7 of 11

JoeC
  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

For anyone still struggling, you can find the Call & Text From Other Devices app in your apps list, just roll it back to factory settings, then try all the usual steps again and it should eventually start working. Samsung need to fix this update and O2 staff need better guidance. 

Message 8 of 11

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122814 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

The new guide including @robmak73's advice is here. Scroll down past the numbered section to the sentence which starts Additional info

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-and-Services/Guide-Connecting-your-Samsung-Smartwatch/m... 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 11

Ian_McD
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

For anyone finding this thread I've posted a possible solution at the following address. Good Luck!

Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 "Emergency Calls Only" Fix - O2 Community

Message 10 of 11