cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stole phone - disgraceful options from 02. Be warned.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Having your phone stolen (iPhone5) is bad enough, but when you learn that you cannot replace your phone without signing up for a NEW contract, the whole episode is made even more painful.

Yes, you still have to keep your existing contract.  You have to run 2 contracts at the same time - or pay an early termination fee to end your existing contract.  In my case this would be £600, one customer service rep has told me (the other one said she couldn't tell me and I'd have to go through to renewels!).  So, let's say it is £600, it would be that, plus the full cost of a new phone, plus the cost of a new contract!  Absolutely ridiculous!

I have been a loyal customer for over 15 years.  I am completely stunned that I am unable to simply BUY a new phone to replace one that has been stolen.

All this because I didn't take out THEIR insurance.  Funny that. If I HAD taken out their insurance, magically they would have replaced my phone with no other outrageous obligations. 

What's even worse is that 02 also don't realise that this disgusting approach from customer service leaves me in a position to leave them and go to a new provider.  How short sighted is THAT?!!!!!!

Message 1 of 18
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Indeed you can:)

Buy yourself an unlocked one while your at it:)
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 14 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Did you expect a new phone free of charge, if you didn't have it insured that's hardly the problem of O2?

You could have used any mobile insurance company, you don't have to use O2.

You can easily get another phone to use for your contract.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 2 of 18

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145040 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27831 Solutions
I'm so glad I don't have to deal with the general public on a regular basis slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 3 of 18

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

There's nothing stopping you buying another phone and simply carrying on with your present contract. I don't understand your expectations here. Your phone and your responsibility. The same thing if you have your car or anything else stolen, the company you have your insurance with pays, not the seller of the item.

Message 4 of 18

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Want to play a game? It's one of my favourites.

It's called, lets drink stuff you find under the sink.

You go first!
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 5 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think you've missed the point.  I'm not complaining about having to buy a new phone to replace my stolen one.  I am complaining that O2 will only sell a new one to me if I buy an additional contract.  They will not sell me a new iPhone 5 to replace my stolen one unless I  buy a neew (second) contract and they will not cancel my existing contract.  So they expect me to run and pay for 2 contracts whilst only being able to use 1 of them!

I do have separate insurance for the phone, but this will only cover buying a replacment phone - not the addtional cost of having to pay for a second contract.

Message 6 of 18

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

If you have insurance surely you can buy one from anywhere?

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 7 of 18

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Buy direct from apple using the insurance o2 will send a replacement sim to use on existing contract.

O2 do not sell sim free and the 5 may not be available on payg with o2.

Bonus of buying from apple it will be unlocked for any network.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 8 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately I cannot simply buy a new phone for my contract -that would be fine for me.  This is the whole point of my complaint.  I have to buy a new phone trariff contract to get a new phone - and still have to pay for my existing contract.

Message 9 of 18

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
I think I did miss the point. Your insurance company should allow you to buy one through apple which will be locked to O2. I'm fairly sure O2 are selling sim free.

Why not buy a PAYG iPhone 5 from O2?

Thought the point of insurance was for them to sort it out.
Message 10 of 18