Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim Only

Kilbirnieboy
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have been a customer of O2 for many years now, firstly on a cntract then after I retired I went onto Sim Only,being a pensioner this was cheaper, Anyway recently my IPhone started to play up so I decided I'd treat myself to a new one,the staff at the shop tried to get me to go into contract I said I didnt want a contract as I was happy with the Sim only deal I had,eventually I settled on the IPhone SE.

it cost me £ 444.00.When my other half saw this phone and said she'd like one,so as its her birthday coming up I bought her one also another £444.00.

Sorry for going on but my gripe with O2 is why did I have to Buy Sim Card with the two phones coming to  total of £30.00?when we had a perfectly good ones? O2 doesnt seem to try keeping their customers happy. More like making money.

I don't expect a response from O2 I just wondered how many other O2 customers had the same problem. 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143427 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Kilbirnieboy 

You shouldn't really.

The purchase of a sim with a PAYG phone is at the managers discretion.

I'm sure they wouldn't have not sold you the phones had you refused the sim.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 9

Kilbirnieboy
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you MI5,

You say its the managers discretion.Thats interesting, if the coversation went like this,

" When you buy  a new PAYG  phone there is a new SIM card BUT you don't have to buy it"

but it didn't, I wasn't given that option. I was told "the new phone comes with a new SIM and it cost £15.00"

Message 3 of 9

MI5
  • 143427 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Kilbirnieboy 

If you had argued the point, you may have got away with it as you already had a sim, so a new one was pointless.

Stores are trained to upsell though, so they will always make it sound either compulsory, or in your best interests.......

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 9

Kilbirnieboy
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks. Seems I’ve been well and truly duped,
Message 5 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Kilbirnieboy 

Were you on a classic PAYG tariff before? (ie topped up as and when required)

If so, it looks as if you have been moved to a Big Bundle tariff.

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/pay-as-you-go/big-bundles 

If this is what happened then it's more than unfair actually.

People who are on a Classic tariff are allowed to stay on it and you could have used your old sim.

Big bundles are the new tariffs and O2 would prefer everyone to be on that one. If you read the link I provided you will see the difference.

I'm just surmising this is what's happened.

Edit Spelling.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 9

MI5
  • 143427 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Kilbirnieboy 

Unfortunately you have been duped.

It was always a £10 sim they tried to force on you previously not £15.00

I hope you're still using your old sim or did they force a number change to new sim too?

Currently using:
Message 7 of 9

Kilbirnieboy
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi MI5,

I've just been onto O2 sales, told them I'm not a happy bunny, they said as I already had a SIM there was no need for the shop to sell me another, they are going to refund me the £30.00. the moral of this story is ...

It pay to complain tongue

Thanks again MI5 for your input.

Message 8 of 9

MI5
  • 143427 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

You're welcome @Kilbirnieboy thumbsup

Currently using:
Message 9 of 9