cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sensible data allowance for pre-teen daughter?

Lorena
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi. Could anyone tell me please how much is sensible data to have for a 13 year old daughter?

I have no idea about data usage and the right “bolt” to add?

She uses Instagram sensibly, stream some music videos and the odd film or episode from Netflix but I really don’t regard her a heavy user and I keep an eye on what she is up.

I just don’t want to exceed allowance of 500MB and incur in surprise mega charges which we did some months ago due switching mobile gadgets and not turning off cellular data... when is good to switch this on and off? Is there anything else to look for?

Thank you, Lorena

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Hi @Lorena

Probably 1GB -2GB?

However the best lesson of all, is teaching her to use WiFi wherever it's available.  No shame in asking any of her friends for their WiFi password when she is at their house.

It seems to be common practice with young people nowadays.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
My 16 year old uses 30gb a month, just to give you an idea.
However, as long as you make sure she is on a standard consumer tariff (NOT business) her data will just stop when she runs out, there will not be any additional charges.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 4

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi @Lorena

In addition to the above, I can recommend to have a browse on the NSPCC pages here that gives some advice around keeping kids safe online. slight_smile

There's also a recent topic here with some tips on making your data allowance last that might be of some help too.

Message 4 of 4