cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sad BT continue rip pockets

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

this is very sad news for all who were hoping BT will lose power and cancel all landlines which you

need when you make contract for broadband. They will get even more power now that we will have

to pay for service which no one use anymore

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/uk/bt-agrees-125bn-deal-to-buy-ee-30966222.htm...

Message 1 of 42
41 REPLIES 41

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22942 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

I'm puzzled as to why you would think that would ever happen. Most people need a land line connection to get their broadband, but it doesn't necessarily have to be with BT.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 42

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Actually its this sentence in the OPs post that I don't understand

They will get even more power now that we will have to pay for service which no one use anymore

Do they mean landlines aren't used any more? slight_frown

Maybe I misunderstood?...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 42

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
No idea tbh. The article linked to is regarding BT buying EE.....?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable

Because UK is only the country in EU which require landline with Broadband. Does'nt matter you take broadband with someone as you still need pay something to BT as them and bit Virgin own the fibre optic. As there was a chance EE and 3 will make good coverage with 3g and 4g BT will not require landline with broadband anymore. How many times a year someone use BT landline? I do only answer in office never home. All other countrie in EU don't have landlines with broadband for 10 or more years and internet is half cheaper than in UK.

Message 5 of 42

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I have Virgin fibre and no need or requirement to take a landline with them or anyone else?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable
I use Bt Broadband Gluk201 and as part of that a landline is attached which I pay quarterly for. If I could have bt Broadband without a Landline I would as I don't use the home telephone. At one point I had to make so many calls per quarter or Bt would charge me for not actually using it enough ! Thankfully that's now stopped.

Thank you for sharing.
Message 7 of 42

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22942 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

I too am on Virgin, and I do have a land line as part of the bundle I purchased, but it's Virgin's land line. I don't pay a penny to BT. Years ago the government required BT to unbundle their land lines to allow other companies to use them.

http://www.uswitch.com/broadband/guides/what_is_llu/

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 8 of 42

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
No idea tbh. The article linked to is regarding BT buying EE.....?

Yes...that's what I thought.

Though I note the OP has confirmed their wish to get rid of landlines as they don't use them abroad to link to broadband. I am not getting into that aspect....

I can only talk about the use of landlines in the UK. They aren't just for broadband use. They provide a lifeline for many of the elderly population who have no wish to start using mobiles.

That day will come when people of todays 'youth'  reach old age. We are nowhere near that stage in this country as yet

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable

The main think is that when I talked to BT they always required landline with broadband. Have a phone which never used paying £15 a month for a unit which just sitting there and using power. In Northern Ireland is BT the main provider and owner of fibre optic so the money go to them anyway. Have All in 1 package from 02 but still have to pay for landline. Virgin is only in Belfast so we are not lucky as you on mainland http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadband_in_Northern_Ireland. Agree that landlines are used by offices and older people but it should not be a requirement for all.

Message 10 of 42