Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMS Challenge on sign-in to Forum this morning

pgn
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 38739 Posts
  • 241 Topics
  • 1740 Solutions

What's the reason for this sequence of transactions needed to sign in to the Forum on laptop earlier, and just now to the web version of My O2 on mobile, @Dave-O2?

1000018497.png

SMS lands, after a warning not to share the PIN that is about to arrive...

1000018498.png

Something amiss?

Message 1 of 51
50 REPLIES 50

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25662 Posts
  • 863 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

And the infamous SMS log-in is back. 

Again no advance notice; no info from tech team on Community - oh and of course it`s Bank Hol.

Will anyone at 02 be bothered to tell us what is going on - or is this another case of keeping us in the dark ?

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 41 of 51

Pipstop78
Level 11: Motivator
  • 648 Posts
  • 253 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

We may need to use a torch if it gets dark 🙂 had no problem logging in through my phone tonight 

Message 42 of 51

Cleoriff
  • 126332 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7556 Solutions

Never had a problem on PC but always when I use phone!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 43 of 51

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 126332 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7556 Solutions

For the first time ever on PC I had a security text after I tried to sign in.

I wonder whose idea this was? This PC is accessed by no-one but me so I can't see the point of it at all!

@Dave-O2  can you explain why this is happening with no warning or explanation?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 44 of 51

Dave-O2
Community Manager
Community Manager
  • 795 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 28 Solutions

Thanks for the tag @Cleoriff 

@pgn, @gmarkj I've checked this out and can confirm an additional layer of security has been added when accessing My O2/The Community.

To be clear you WON'T be asked to confirm the OTAC each time you log in to The Community, this is only triggered by certain factors 👍

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram

Message 45 of 51

Enlli
Level 67: Unsung hero
  • 8096 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 1662 Solutions

So, it appears if I'm working with my phone, signing into the community on my home wifi is normal, but out and about on mobile data I have to go through the messing of getting codes.

So what happens if someone wants to join the community if they have lost their phone, been cut off etc. 

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 46 of 51

MI5
  • 149914 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28555 Solutions

Contact deflection.......

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 47 of 51

Enlli
Level 67: Unsung hero
  • 8096 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 1662 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

Contact deflection.......

That thought crossed my mind.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 48 of 51

Oxonian
Level 35: Originator
  • 9636 Posts
  • 231 Topics
  • 27 Solutions

@Dave-O2 wrote:

Thanks for the tag @Cleoriff 

@pgn, @gmarkj I've checked this out and can confirm an additional layer of security has been added when accessing My O2/The Community.

To be clear you WON'T be asked to confirm the OTAC each time you log in to The Community, this is only triggered by certain factors 👍

@Dave-O2 

I am logging into the Community on a laptop which is connected to the outside world via domestic WiFi. I am being asked for a OTAC every day on log-in and have been for about the last ten days. 

Is that normal please ? I am not against additional security but I am surprised that I appear to be triggering "certain factors" on a daily basis. 👍

Message 49 of 51

Cleoriff
  • 126332 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7556 Solutions

@Dave-O2 

The OTP to sign in was back this morning. (Not into My O2....just the forum)

You mentioned earlier it 'was triggered by certain factors'? Not sure what those factors relate to as I did nothing different. (This is on Windows PC using Firefox and home Wifi. ) Very rarely use phone to log into forum.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 50 of 51