Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SCAM

Niamh11
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Just received a scam phone call from a number listed as Glasgow, Scotland. The number was 0141 628 2042. The number informed me that o2 had selected me for a discount of 40% on my phone bill. The person knew my name and my phone number, and that I was an o2 customer which is highly worrying in itself. 

More worryingly, they informed me on the phone they would send me a one time code to access the discount which I needed to read to them. What they had done was typed my number into Myo2 and clicked reset password which sends me a text from o2 to reset. This could help the scammers because the password comes from the legitimate o2 number however if I had read it out they would have had access to change my password and to all my payment and banking details.

This could be dangerous for people who are less confident with technology etc so please stay alert and inform anybody you know who may be susceptible to this kind of scam. 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22941 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Niamh11
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, 

Yes I knew it was a scam but just posted as I’d never seen this scam before and thought others may not have. 

Message 3 of 7

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22941 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Niamh11 Sad to say these calls and text scams have been making the rounds for years, but it's good that you were aware of it and have alerted others.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 7

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

If an unknown number rings an it doesn't start +44141 xxxx xxxx for example. Generally speaking these are not geographical call numbers. 

I think regardless of whether you take the bite or fall for their scam. Most of the time you will never be able to prove anything as the call only works from their side.

I mostly only accept mobile numbers however even some scams are made on out of service contract numbers these days.

Unfortunately there is a blackmarket for buying people's details. Then using it to trick people into thinking people are genuine.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 5 of 7

Klaus
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Today they got me... started light with the discount and than I helped them to log into my account😳 and order an iphone.
The O2 fraud line sorted it out quickly, before the iphone was dispatched.

Message 6 of 7

juliebooth
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've just been called exactly the same offer but before giving bank details i tried to log in to my o2 account and it wouldn't let me so i rang o2 and had it all reset , i cancelled my DD ages ago so bank details not on there anyway , different number called me though it was 02040910551

Message 7 of 7