Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Robdoggery.... 11.7% increase

Projectionist
Level 12: Nimble
  • 275 Posts
  • 18 Topics
  • 8 Solutions

An 11.7% rise in my monthly contract charge - cheers, O2 -I'll be getting my PAC as soon as my 24 months are over 😞

Good job I'm only paying £11 / month

"We wanted to let you know we’re increasing the price of your tariff. We know a price rise is never welcome, but it’s essential to allow us to continue to invest in our technology.
The increase means the price of your tariff will rise in line with the 7.8% Retail Price Index (RPI) rate of inflation, announced in February, combined with our annual 3.9% rise. This is set out in your terms. You’ll find more information on the RPI changes on our website."

And before anyone mentions terms and conditions - yes I know

Using Pixel 4 ( O2 + 1pMobile) , Samsung E1182 ( geosim + dtac)
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

JaynePrice
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

What I want to know is why I am bound by a contract and 02 isn't.

Message 11 of 17

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9983 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@JaynePrice 

How do you mean???

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 12 of 17

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@JaynePrice wrote:

What I want to know is why I am bound by a contract and 02 isn't.

You both are as the terms are set out in the T&C's https://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 13 of 17

Projectionist
  • 275 Posts
  • 18 Topics
  • 8 Solutions

Frankly, this kind of opportunism is exactly what drives inflation - 3.9% above RPI, wish I could get a pay rise like that 😞 

Message 14 of 17

toddy198132
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yes I agree with OP, I didn’t purchase my original tarrif through the site as the best deals are always available over the phone. If you plead poverty you can get an unlimited calls and texts plus 5GB of data for £8 or so. At least that was the price before these year on year increases in my the price of my tarrif.

I noticed this only started to occur in the last few years or so. I’m pretty loyal to O2 but if I can get a significantly cheaper tarriff my head may be turned. In the past you paid the amount you agreed when signing up every month. So if O2 makes a huge profit one year will they pass it onto the customer and make reductions in our tarriffs?! No this is a one way street, constantly rising. Remember when changing tarrif with O2 work out how much data you need as part of your package. I hardly use it as mostly on Wi-Fi. Then ring O2 speak to an advisor and ask them to run through the cheapest tarrifs. Plead poverty and before jumping in with both feet simply write the package name and particulars down. Then ring again, speak to someone new and ask if they can beat the price, at this point don’t mention package name only your data needs. Finally if they can’t better it quote the name of the tarrif to them. Sometimes they advisors aren’t even aware that they’re such low tarrifs available. Don’t settle until you get that deal, even if it means ringing again and speaking to someone who is more helpful. (Some EBay staff are much more knowledgeable and helpful then others) some barely speak intelligible English. And no I’m not a fascist, it’s a fact and even some Irish advisors take a lot to understand. Really if you can’t speak clear telephone English you shouldn’t be employed by a U.K. call centre. But I disagress! Just to underline my point, the best deals are always hidden from the customer and can be sought with either a super helpful O2 staff who isn’t concerned with getting his sign up fees for signing you to an expensive package. Or just by simply asking them to search for the best deal for you and your circumstances. I find most deals even the really cheap ones, have at least unlimited texts and most time unlimited calls. It’s the data you pay for, so if your able to use Wi-Fi most of the time it can be a great deal cheaper. New packages which are hidden are created every week or so, so check around a bit. Maybe tell them your thinking of changing provider because you can’t currently afford O2. That will do the job and grab their attention! Finally even though I have done it myself, never repeat never buy a handset from O2 if you have to pay more a month for god knows how long to pay for it. It’s much cheaper shopping around the internet for new sealed phones that are the model you would like.

If you can’t afford it, stick it on a credit card or PayPal credit, where you can buy and pay back a smaller amount monthly. You will be surprised with the amount of money you will save in the long run. Pay for your new phone in one go or use credit. Or on an unnamed auction site you can find ex display phones boxed or used ones that have had screen protectors and cases on all the time. Spend time browsing for your new or second hand phone carefully. Check all photos with care and read throughly before purchasing. Avoid sellers with feedback below 90 to 95% Also read sellers negative feedback if there is any, to get an idea of quality and how they deal with people and returns. I bought this IPhone 7 Plus at least 5 or 6 years ago maybe more in perfect condition. It has always worked great, I use a glass hardened screen protector. This phone has had many falls, some hard and touch would the screen has never needed replaced. The only work I’ve had done on it is a new speaker as it was full of dirt and a little quiet. Cost me £30 inc parts and it’s just great. I would like a new IPhone but I like the button at the bottom and most new models don’t have it. Newer isn’t always better, so shop around! Save your money in the long and shorts runs. Never buy a tarrif off the O2 app or site, cheaper and better ie more data

is available by phoning and my golden rule, always be nice and polite! It will get you much further and a better deal. Get friendly with them and then they are more likely to want to help you! I would never buy a phone new or used off this site or on phone though. Even though in a moment of insanity that rule has been broken. You will always find the best deals online by shopping around or by using trusted auction and selling sites. I would consider getting some insurance for your phone from O2 though. But only if it’s good cover and you can’t find the same cheaper elsewhere. So think before you jump into a new contract with a shiny new phone. That’s how they make the most of there money.

Message 15 of 17

Projectionist
  • 275 Posts
  • 18 Topics
  • 8 Solutions

11.7% is opportunism, and feeds the inflationary spiral. Just because fuel/shopping/national insurance et al are all rising, doesn't mean we can't see O2 taking the proverbial

Message 16 of 17

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35208 Posts
  • 223 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

And could O2 customers be in for another swingeing price rise next time around...?

https://archive.ph/GCGMy

The O2 spokesperson said: “For most of our users, the price increase only applied to the airtime part of their bill and our most popular tariffs cost from as little as 33p per day.”

Message 17 of 17