cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming charges for texts messages sent in the EU

Anonymous
Not applicable
Need some help in understanding how it all works. My current charges show that a total of 104 text messages costing £9.36 have been sent between 17.5 and 25.5. whilst in Bulgaria. I rang customer services to enquire about this as records on my phone (I never delete messages that I have sent) show that would have sent maximum 60 messages including messages that are longer than 160 characters counting as 2/3 messages. A refund of those charges was offered which is all fine.
I then looked at my last bill (which I hadn't bothered to do before as being abroad and having made a few calls, I had expected a big bill. I found that I had been billed for 136 messages costing £13.34 inc vat which had been sent from Italy and Bulgaria over a 9 day period. I would have sent maximum of 40 messages,including long messages counting as 2/3 messages. How do I get CS to check this? Can I send a readout of the messages sent from my phone to customer services to get them to check against their records? How would I go about doing that? Also why is it one month before whilst in Bulgaria, there is a list of the UK numbers text messages were sent to, whereas this month there is no record of the numbers - all are listed under 078********.
This is all very confusing. Calling CS a second time about the charges on my last bill, I didn't find the person particularly helpful, he didn't seem to know very much. Look forward to your replies. Thanks.
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello again, why was the telephone number in my original post edited?
Regards
Message 2 of 12

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions
If it's classed by the moderators as personal details it will be removed.
All email addresses and phone numbers are treated the same.
To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 3 of 12

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
But all it was is the message center number that shows when sending from abroad
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 4 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello again, why was the telephone number in my original post edited?
Regards

You won't get an answer from the Moderators other than any PM that they sent you.
If you read the Forum T&Cs before you registered you would have seen :-

You must not submit any Content that doesn't comply with these Terms. Specifically, you must not use the Forum for any Content that:
infringes the privacy of an individual or company, including (but not limited to) posting location and/or contact details of another person;

That includes your own personal details eg phone number, house address, IP Address or any other person's details whether known or not known to you.
Message 5 of 12

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

I doubt if they would know that! grin
To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 6 of 12

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

I doubt if they would know that! grin

:robotmad: :robotmad: :robotmad: :robotmad: grin grin grin :robotwink: :robotwink:
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 7 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, yes I had gathered that the number was the number for a message centre. My point really was why for this month's charges the message centre's number is shown for all text messages sent whereas last month, with text messages being sent from the same countries (Italy and Bulgaria)to the UK, the numbers that the messages were sent to are shown.
Message 8 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's all to do with what detail the roaming network captures and passes to O2. Because your text goes to the message centre number first, which then routs it onto whichever number you're texting, the roaming network can capture the message centre number to log the text.
Similarly, if you receive a call, your number will show as the number dialled.
Message 9 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for your reply. It makes more sense once explained, don't know why Customer Service agents were not able to explain this to me!
Message 10 of 12