Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Privacy takes another hit

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

I know they're probably all at it, and at least AVG is up front with it, but I wouldn't go near their software now.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/avg-releases-transparent-privacy-policy-yes-we-will-sell-your-data/#fta...

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

I agree @Bambino. Often we don't think too deeply about it but then you read these paragraphs below and your eyes are opened. (Whether you want to know or not)

"If data is collected which makes you identifiable -- such as browsing history or search terms -- AVG says this information is considered personal and will be scrubbed.

"We may also aggregate and/or anonymize personal data we collect about you. For instance, although we would consider your precise location to be personal data if stored separately, if we combined the locations of our users into a data set that could only tell us how many users were located in a particular country, we would not consider this aggregated information to be personally identifiable,"

It seems to be open to all sorts of misinterpretation and dependent on WHO decides which info is personal

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 11

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Privacy went out of the window years ago. Every scammers known to man has your information gathered and it's pot luck as to when you will be affected.

Message 3 of 11

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

I'm well aware that any thought of privacy has long been gone @jonsie, I just think it's a shame that an antivirus company who purports to be protecting your information is actively passing it on. Maybe they're all at it and AVG are just the first ones to actually be up front with the truth?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've got AVG on my la
Message 5 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry, I hit post by accident!

I've got AVG on my laptop and I'm reluctant to get rid as I've found it the best antivirus software - I'd rather go without than use Norton or McAfee. This is making me think twice though.

What antivirus software do people recommend?
Message 6 of 11

Poppysmum
  • 1332 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 7 Solutions

I have Avast on my laptop the free version and have had no trouble with it. Used to have Microsoft Security Essentials til it put a bug on my laptop grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Message 7 of 11

blissgirl
Level 33: Firestarter
  • 7228 Posts
  • 46 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
I too have avast on both my laptops and don't have any problems slight_smile (free version)
iPhone 15 plus 128Gb light pink (with Vodafone) slight_smile
Message 8 of 11

Cairdeas
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 3570 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

I use Bitdefender..had no problems so far x

giphy-3
Message 9 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@Cairdeas wrote:

I use Bitdefender..had no problems so far x

We have Bitdefender on all our laptops. My other half has tried many but has settled on this one...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 11