cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Premium rate services petition to O2

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 120532 Posts
  • 605 Topics
  • 18062 Solutions
Registered:

EE have introduced a 2!step verification process for premium rate services. 

Vodafone allow customers full control within the My Vodafone app. 

O2 currently do nothing and many thousands of customers are scammed out of a lot of money every month. 

What will you do O2!to keep up with the competition and protect your customers or are you happy to take a cut and leave customers exposed?

if you want to add your voice to this, please comment below. 

Over to you, O2 ?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
OnePlus 6 (O2 & Sfr), Z3 Tablet (Three UK), iPhone 8+ (EE)
Message 1 of 109
9,668 Views
108 REPLIES 108

gmarkj
Level 53: Renowned
  • 7673 Posts
  • 86 Topics
  • 414 Solutions
Registered:

@Gelphyn wrote:

@gmarkj wrote:
In app purchases are just that @Gelphyn - you buy something within an app and the charge appears on your bill.
These could be for any app, not just an o2 one.

I do not think Apple would let ANYBODY or ANYTHING steal their income, the APP Provider offers a service to both Provider of the Product the Purchaser of the Product. The resulting Proceeds of the Transaction are split by prearragemnt between the App Provider and the Product Provider, and these funds are collected from the Purchasers Account held by the App Provider.

You seem to be suggesting that O2 have some means of circumnavigating arrangements that have been set up properly in a legally binding manner between consenting parties.

The only legal obligation to O2 that I have is to pay for the Services that they provide on a Monthly basis.

Unless they can offer proof that the MyO2.app offers the facility for ' probably a mass of Developers/Sellers/Vendors/Providers/or whatever to Sell their Wares through the MyO2.app and that there are Complete Records of each Transaction they are clearly not being truthful.

By 'Complete Records' I mean not just someones seemingly random insertion of alledged purchases into O2 Accounts but every thing involved down to the minute timing of all the events.

Probably not many affected will be able to remember precicely what they did or did not do on a certain date? In the case of my alledged purchase on the 18 February 2019 I was very busy with timed events using only the Stagecoach.app. [Bus Timetables] My 'free' time was spent spent on my Mac wrestling with minor irritations with Password Managers. I could not have inadvertently triggered MyO2.app because it would have required setting up a New PIN etc, although I only learned that later.

 

This Thread is hopefully helping to fully uncover an attempt to part a lot of people from their money.

I urge everyone affected to pitch in every shred of information they have on the subject, if necessary interjecting with correcting or supporting input as appropriate.

I want to see the 'screws' tightened down on this particular coffin rather than using just nails. 


At no point did I mention Apple losing a share of the profit @Gelphyn.

However, you are correct that they would take part of the purchase - their process requires you to sign in with your Apple ID. The site I have just read does not say how the purchase would be paid for (debit/credit card, through phone bill, etc). Link below:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202023

 

That page also shows that apps MUST tell you if you can make (not have made) purchases through it - you would be wise to check if you have indeed made one or more. I don't have an iPhone to check, but I would be surprised to see if the My o2 app had the warning abount making purchases against it...

 

Either way, o2 do not charge you a subscription but would add something to your bill - which, if you check, would tell you what the charge is for and (I would hope) who the charge is from...

 

Based on what you have said, I would agree with @Payforit_Sucks that you have inadvertantly signed up for a subscription service. His reply outlines how this would happen and what you need to do about it.

 

I wish you all the best in obtaining a refund of these charges.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).


Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 81 of 109
2,386 Views

Payforit_Sucks
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 207 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 4 Solutions
Registered:

@Gelphyn

 

As I said in my previous post, I don't believe that these charges are anything to do with the My O2 App (or any other App for that matter). However, the next step needs to find out exactly what the charges were for.  Finite Inc Global should be able to tell you why they charged your account. Then we can look at whether what happened was legal.

 

Hidden in your contract will be a clause granting permission for O2 to pass your details to "third parties" for charging purposes. They do need to be able to do this, for example, to pass on charges for using directory enquiries. However, I doubt the legality of using this permission to transfer phone numbers when accessing the internet. I've put details of this issue here: https://payforitsucks.co.uk/gdpr-issues/.

 

Until we know exactly what happened in your case, we are only guessing, and that could be a gigantic waste of everyones time. 

Phone payment scam? Need independent advice? Payforit Faq for O2 Customers
 
Help put a stop to these scams. Join our Facebook Group
Message 82 of 109
2,385 Views

AdamA
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Registered:

I secound this i keep getting got by 65333 a holiday discount scammer ran out of belize, you can do nothing to get the money back its leaglized theft and im so sick of it, every few months they just pull this again and again, this is half the reason i refuse to sign up to a monthly plan, these scum bags would then just empty my damn bank account through bull ****** texts.

 

O2 sort it or im off to a diffrent provider.

Message 83 of 109
2,354 Views

Gelphyn
  • 7 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Registered:

@Payforit_Sucks wrote:

@Gelphyn

 

As I said in my previous post, I don't believe that these charges are anything to do with the My O2 App (or any other App for that matter). However, the next step needs to find out exactly what the charges were for.  Finite Inc Global should be able to tell you why they charged your account. Then we can look at whether what happened was legal.

 

Hidden in your contract will be a clause granting permission for O2 to pass your details to "third parties" for charging purposes. They do need to be able to do this, for example, to pass on charges for using directory enquiries. However, I doubt the legality of using this permission to transfer phone numbers when accessing the internet. I've put details of this issue here: https://payforitsucks.co.uk/gdpr-issues/.

 

Until we know exactly what happened in your case, we are only guessing, and that could be a gigantic waste of everyones time. 


As promised this is an update regarding my Final O2 Bill.

This was due on 26 February 2019 and arrived as expected.

I had cancelled in accordance with the Pay Monthly Contract and to avoid any extra charges for straying into the next month my switch was made on 23 February 2019 to my New provider to their SIM Telephone Number until O2 released my Old Number. The latter took place on 26 February 2019.

O2 have charged me for the coming month February to March 2019.

They have also charged me £18.00 for the cost of the alledged purchase of 'games' as previously advised.

Somebody could have slipped a further 2 x £4.50 charges in if these charges were for weekly use/rental/or anything else that could be charged weekly. 

So much for their promisies to make a Refund for the amount in dispute.

 

Regarding the MyO2.app.

Apart from having set it up a very long time ago it has never been opened or used until recently when, wishing to acertain the source of the alledged purchases, I opened it and found that it was locked and some form of new Code would be required to open it. It was promptly closed because I had no intention of remaining with O2.

 

Please be aware that I have never dealt with 'Finite Inc Global' i.e., they have never Invoiced me though they may have invoiced O2. I hope that no Personal Details have been passed to any Third Party for any Customer of O2. Certainly this aspect needs to be investigated.

Lets get the facts straight, O2 have facilitated the use of the O2 System for Third Parties to levy charges from O2 Customers. Because they provided this service O2 are complicit in everything arising from their choice to expand their business by this means.

My intention is to seek compensation from O2. I only have basic information from O2 as to the alledged origin of the charges. The only proof of this misdemeaner is the O2 Invoice.

How can it possibly not be the responsibility of O2 that they have and are allowing this to happen?

 

Given the numbers of O2 Customers affected by this situation it would seem reasonable to organise a Class Action reference:

 

UK version of USA Class Actions

 

It would be interesting to learn how many would support this route to a resolution.

 

Best regards,

 

G

Message 84 of 109
2,349 Views

Payforit_Sucks
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 207 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 4 Solutions
Registered:


@Gelphyn wrote:


As promised this is an update regarding my Final O2 Bill.

This was due on 26 February 2019 and arrived as expected.

I had cancelled in accordance with the Pay Monthly Contract and to avoid any extra charges for straying into the next month my switch was made on 23 February 2019 to my New provider to their SIM Telephone Number until O2 released my Old Number. The latter took place on 26 February 2019.

O2 have charged me for the coming month February to March 2019.

They have also charged me £18.00 for the cost of the alledged purchase of 'games' as previously advised.

Somebody could have slipped a further 2 x £4.50 charges in if these charges were for weekly use/rental/or anything else that could be charged weekly. 

So much for their promisies to make a Refund for the amount in dispute.

 

Regarding the MyO2.app.

Apart from having set it up a very long time ago it has never been opened or used until recently when, wishing to acertain the source of the alledged purchases, I opened it and found that it was locked and some form of new Code would be required to open it. It was promptly closed because I had no intention of remaining with O2.

 

Please be aware that I have never dealt with 'Finite Inc Global' i.e., they have never Invoiced me though they may have invoiced O2. I hope that no Personal Details have been passed to any Third Party for any Customer of O2. Certainly this aspect needs to be investigated.

Lets get the facts straight, O2 have facilitated the use of the O2 System for Third Parties to levy charges from O2 Customers. Because they provided this service O2 are complicit in everything arising from their choice to expand their business by this means.

My intention is to seek compensation from O2. I only have basic information from O2 as to the alledged origin of the charges. The only proof of this misdemeaner is the O2 Invoice.

How can it possibly not be the responsibility of O2 that they have and are allowing this to happen?

 

Given the numbers of O2 Customers affected by this situation it would seem reasonable to organise a Class Action reference:

 

UK version of USA Class Actions

 

It would be interesting to learn how many would support this route to a resolution.

 

Best regards,

 

G


@Gelphyn 

There are quite a few points in your post. I'll try to deal with them as best I can.

Firstly, you still don't know exactly what it is that you are supposed to have paid for. I suspect that you have been scammed by a "service" called Jammitup.

Have you asked Finite Global Inc (on 03300535838) ? If so, what did they say?
Have you asked O2? If so what did they say?

This looks like a Payforit subscription scam, but based on the scanty information you have we can't even be sure of that.

You should have received text messages about the "subscription".These would probably have come from shortcode 83463.

Legally, your claim is against Finite Global Inc, so your first step is to ask them for a refund. They have taken your money and that doesn't seem to be in dispute. It is for them to show that the charges were lawful, or to refund in full. A class action is unlikely to be an option as not enough consumers are affected and it is quite possible that Finite Global Inc will refund in full when asked. A first principle of the law is that you should try to settle out of court before resorting to legal action

In my view O2 are negligent in allowing Finite Global Inc to take your money, but any solicitor will tell you that proving negligence by O2 will be much more difficult than proving that Finite Global Inc have your money.

If Finite Global Inc were to refuse a full refund that would open up other possible courses of action:

  • Pursuing O2 using the Payforit rules which say that if you re dissatisfied they have a duty to investigate and make  decision.
  • A claim in the Small Claims court against Finite Global Inc for taking money without consent
  • A claim in the Small Claims court against O2 for negligence in allowing this company to take your money without consent.

 

None of this preludes you pursuing O2 for a breach of the GDPR in the manner described here.

 

One of the problems with Payforit scams is that it is there is no clear disputes procedure. However, there is a process which can be followed which should result in the scammers having to give up their ill gotten gains (and in the process cause them and O2 a great deal of hassle and expense).

Most consumers who fail to get their money back do so because they don't follow the prescribed process. 

You may feel the O2 should have primary responsibility, and morally I'd agree with you, but we are dealing with the matter of legal responsibility here.

 


 

Phone payment scam? Need independent advice? Payforit Faq for O2 Customers
 
Help put a stop to these scams. Join our Facebook Group
Message 85 of 109
2,341 Views

Robsonhayward
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Registered:

Agree 100%

 

Have just found out i've been stung for 3 months worth of charges from Wahoo Ltd.

 

O2 gave me the contact number of them and told me i needed to request a refund by Paypal from them.

 

The number didn't work and I sourced an email address which I have little hope of a reply from.

 

O2 have done nothing to help me apart from give me a duff phone number, not happy at all.

Message 86 of 109
2,307 Views

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 120532 Posts
  • 605 Topics
  • 18062 Solutions
Registered:

@Robsonhayward some help here https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Have-you-fallen-for-or-been-conned-into-a-premium-rate-s...

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
OnePlus 6 (O2 & Sfr), Z3 Tablet (Three UK), iPhone 8+ (EE)
Message 87 of 109
2,304 Views

Payforit_Sucks
  • 207 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 4 Solutions
Registered:

@Robsonhayward wrote:

Agree 100%

 

Have just found out i've been stung for 3 months worth of charges from Wahoo Ltd.

 

O2 gave me the contact number of them and told me i needed to request a refund by Paypal from them.

 

The number didn't work and I sourced an email address which I have little hope of a reply from.

 

O2 have done nothing to help me apart from give me a duff phone number, not happy at all.


I'm not sure what information you've been given about this company. They currently seem to be running two payforitscams:

 

FreeMsg: Thank you for subscribing to www.zapwin.com for £4.50 every week from Wahoo Limited until you text STOP to 83463. HELP? 03300538652

 

FreeMsg: Reminder. You are subscribed to www.hdwallpapers.shop for £4.50 every week from Wahoo Limited until you text STOP to 83463. HELP? 03300538651

Wahoo London Ltd

 

 

helpdesk@wahoolondon.com

 

 

WAHOO LONDON LIMITED

07688147 - Incorporated on 30 June 2011

International House, 142 Cromwell Road, London, England, SW7 4EF

Directors:

Jonathan KENNEDY

Michael KENNEDY

 

This is a UK based company, so if they refuse you a refund, you can use the Small Claims procedure to recover your money. Make it clear that you are aware of this and they'll probably refund without any further argument.

 

 

Phone payment scam? Need independent advice? Payforit Faq for O2 Customers
 
Help put a stop to these scams. Join our Facebook Group
Message 88 of 109
2,301 Views

Robsonhayward
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Registered:

It's the wallpaper HD one.

 

I have emailed Wahoo Ltd with my paypal address and amount I'm owed as the contact phone number O2 gave me just rings until it finally disconnects. Has been doing this for the past 2 days.

 

Thanks @MI5 but that information doesn't really provide much more help than "contact the people who have ripped you off" If you can't contact them you're still buggered. Which I currently am.....

Message 89 of 109
2,290 Views

JPUT
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Registered:

Happy to add my name to this also. Experience in linked post below.

 

Since I wrote this earlier today, I have spoken with o2. Was put through to a gentleman, don’t know which department who said “of course we can help, it’s all about what you ask for”. He then said I will transfer you to someone named Sultan who will help you with a refund. Well guess what, put through to the Payforit automated system where option 2 to speak to someone did not work and just looped but to the recorded menu every time. Disgraceful o2 and Payforit I have nothing polite to say.

 

I have now cancelled my pay monthly iPad contract and have taken my business elsewhere. 

 

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-and-Services/Payfor-scam-help/m-p/1203956#M35473

Message 90 of 109
2,274 Views